• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

d000hg

Interesting way of evading piracy...

This topic is 5835 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I thought a cool way to virtually eliminate piracy would be to distribute the game freely, but you can only use it by going online to enter your username & password. These you would have to pay for, and while you could tell others your details, then they''d have access to your account and high scores, record of how good you are etc. I thought I might implement this by making the single user version just a kind of practice mode, and the main game online only, maybe even something you pay monthly for to keep your account open (some really low price like $3 a month), or a pay per use system where you pay per race (it''s a racing game). How viable does this sound, particularly for this type of game? How difficult would it be to get the web side stuff running, and secure (so you can''t steal all the passwords easily)? The biggest problem for me would be how to have a server hosting all these games, or keeping a list of them all. Comments?
Read about my game, project #1 NEW (9th September)diaries for week #5 Also I''m selling a few programming books very useful to games coders. Titles on my site.
John 3:16

Advertisement
It''s already been done mate.
Some small games company in guildford did it..rocket something or other - their games suck mind you, I dont see any of the big boys ever doing it. What would games stores do - they''d all go completely out of business, they aint gonna let that happen.

What''s to stop someone cracking the game so that it always thinks it got a "positive" response from the webserver? You''d just remove the bit which actually contacted the webserver and make the result look like a positive one.

Of course, then you can add things like every time you connect, you download part of the game, but the problem here is that you could just download the file yourself, then crack the game to use the already-download version.

Then the solution is to make the thing you download each time different, and if you don''t somehow use the correct version for this run, it doesn''t work.

This staying-one-step-ahead sort of thing can go on forever. It''s a compromise between how much you want to inconvenience your regular users and how determined the crackers are... In the end, if people are that determined to crack your game, maybe you''re just charging too much for it

If I had my way, I''d have all of you shot!

codeka.com - Just click it.

quote:
Original post by d000hg
but you can only use it by going online to enter your username & password.

Hope you don''t mind eliminating millions of modem-only or offline users as possible buyers then, and alienating all your users when your server is offline for 30 minutes.

People will crack your stuff if they want to - focus on giving value for the money to those who buy it instead and I''m sure you''ll both earn more and have happier users - remember, goodwill isn''t worthless either.

Hmm, if you''re going to be retailling your game, you could simply have some additional goodies packaged with it. People can pirate software (And hopefully will get cancer. In the head.) but they can''t really pirate a full-color map, guide to the world your game runs in, or whatnot.

I meant the game would be primarily multiplayer-orientated like those massively unpopular games (Q3 & UT!). It wouldn''t ask necessarily for a positive response, but you couldn''t get info off the server (what games are going on, your saved character & stats etc) without a valid password. I wouldn''t plan to make you go online just to play single-player games.

I''d ideally make it free except a pay-as-you-play thing, or make you pay to enter a race and the winner gets a prize etc; but I don''t know to take money off you $0.20 at a time automatically, and sending a monthly bill leaves me open to people jus playing for a month then not paying and starting a new account, doesn''t it?

someone hacks the exe to connect to a different server, that server they set up, and voilà, free gaming..

"take a look around" - limp bizkit
www.google.com

But that seems a lot less likely a hack anyone would do than just bypassing security codes. You''d have to have your own server for a start which would be quite expensive!
Then you''d need to figure out how my game communicates with the server - ie you ask it for a list of games and it sends them all to you. So you could set up your own server, but the official games would then not be open to you.

The main question was not ''is this method unbreakable'' but ''is it reasonable both in ease of use for the users and in terms of security?'' Another question is ''how hard is it to crack this compared to traditional approaches such as keys etc?''

I dont think you''ll beat piracy (only with those new cpu''s from M$ and intel and the rest of group) ever, this is always an elite part of society obsessed with giving nothing and taking all they can.

If someone copies a game, give a stuff, but I really irk when people sell copies. Thats so F^ckin rude.....

(if you know anyon doing this, dob them into the authorities, they are feeding off other peoples hard work, f^ckin scum)

but I m actually lol only answering to let you know. A server costs all of $1000 (australian) to setup.

I could simply use my red hat partition and presto here is my server, but thats not neccessarily a gaming server unless the game allows it (from what I know, never set up a game server).

I would presume you do something similar to what the (gee what a coincidence) MMORPG type creators are doing.

Check out those games and write to the authors.

quote:
Original post by d000hg
But that seems a lot less likely a hack anyone would do than just bypassing security codes. You''d have to have your own server for a start which would be quite expensive!
Then you''d need to figure out how my game communicates with the server - ie you ask it for a list of games and it sends them all to you. So you could set up your own server, but the official games would then not be open to you.

The main question was not ''is this method unbreakable'' but ''is it reasonable both in ease of use for the users and in terms of security?'' Another question is ''how hard is it to crack this compared to traditional approaches such as keys etc?''

it was done.. remember blizzard battle.net? there where tons of hacked battlenets around.. where you could play with hacket cd''s.. they where even legal.. but money judges in this case.. it was a fun story.. (/me hating blizzard for this, they killed starcraft3d with it..)

"take a look around" - limp bizkit
www.google.com

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!