Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recording what's on the screen (footage movie creation)

This topic is 5502 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Ok, what I want to do: Show people some in-game footage. The idea is to make a movie file, for example mpeg which records what''s on the screen on the moment it''s recorded. So when I will do some things inside my game, it''ll be stored in the movie file. This way I should be able to show other people some in-game stuff without handing over the game :D Does anyone have a clue how I do this? Is it a programming technique? Is there some sort of program to do this? By the way I use OpenGL and C++

Yeah, but that''d be a start.

Basically what you do is edit your timing routines so that whatever the "actual" framerate is, your game thinks it''s running at some fixed rate (for example, 24fps). Then, every frame you want to take a capture and stick that in your video stream (however that''s done, depends a bit on how you decide to do it - more on this bit later). Generally, the screen capturing is quite slow, and you''ll find your game runs at less than the capture speed (i.e. less than 24fps) but since you make the game "think" it''s running at 24fps, everything just moves sort of slow... if you follow what I''m saying.

Now as for actually encoding the data into a movie - that''s where third-party stuff comes into play. Windows comes with a few routines for encoding video, but they''re pretty crappy (though not bad for the price ). Generally if you want good quality video, you''re going to have to pay for it.

If I had my way, I''d have all of you shot!

codeka.com - Just click it.

thanks for the help

So I guess the only way is making screenies and connecting them (with 3rd party software) to a movie? If so I''ll try your way. If anyone thinks there is another (better) way, plz say so

Not sure if it''s what you''re asking for, but there is a program called Camtasia that records whatever is on your screen to a mpeg file.

-Luctus

Guest Anonymous Poster
No way it can compress at 30 fps in real time on consumer hardware. I''d say capture the game using video-out and digitize that again. You''ll lose a little quality, but at least you don''t lose any frames.

No, it really has to be a movie, it''s for a presentation of some guy for school. He doesn''t have the right pc to use the engine I guess (some really crappy laptop or so) and I want to publish it too (so people can download it)

but I won''t let them download the whole game