Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Help selecting Methedology..

This topic is 5502 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi all, Im developing a generic TCP/IP server component for a uni project, the aim is to produce an optimised win32 server component. Technologies are not currently an issue, but I need to decide on a decent aproach (programming language and methedology) and I would really apreciate any input from the profesionals I need to decide which programming language to use (could be OO, or possibly procedural and make it a DLL) I also need to decide on a design methedology and life cycle (eg UML, Yordon etc) I appreciate any input thanks

What sort of component - what''s it going to do?

If you want a high through-put or minimal latency tcp server then you want to take advantage of NT specific features such as IO completion ports and memory mapped files. I think XP actually added a Win32 API call that lets the OS handle transferring a file over tcp.

I would consider using the ACE framework (which would mean C++) for the network code. You can write an http 1.0 server in about fifteen minutes with it. ACE is free and portable as well.

- Magmai Kai Holmlor

"Oh, like you''ve never written buggy code" - Lee

[Look for information | GDNet Start Here | GDNet Search Tool | GDNet FAQ | MSDN RTF[L] | SGI STL Docs | STFW | Asking Smart Questions ]

[Free C++ Libraries | Boost | ACE | Loki | MTL | Blitz++ | wxWindows| Spirit(xBNF)]
[Free C Libraries | zlib ]