• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AGPX

Compiled Vertex Array & Others

This topic is 5847 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi guys, HOW the hell Compiled Vertex Array works? When I use them, I obtain slower results. Probably I wrong somethings, but I can't found source code examples. I wish somethings like VertexBuffers, I need to exploit Transformation&Lighting. With DirectX is really easy, but with OGL? I wrote my engine totally in OpenGL and I wan't convert it to DirectX if is not strictly necessary. Have you some example to show me? There are others extensions that can help me? Thanks, - AGPX [edited by - agpx on November 18, 2002 10:29:16 AM]

Advertisement
cva will only help out IF u reuse a lot of indices in your models. eg like qukae3 each model normally has 2-5passes.

basically it goes like
set up arrays etc
glLockArrays(0,num_verts) // NOTE verts not indices (or other way round sorry i forget )
glDrawElements(...)
change texture
glDrawElements(...)
change texture
glDrawElements(...)
glUnLockArrays()

also on todays cards using VAO,VAR is much quicker.
personally i dont use any yet cause A/ with 99% youre not gonna be geometry limited but limited in some other place eg CPU/fill etc

http://uk.geocities.com/sloppyturds/kea/kea.html
http://uk.geocities.com/sloppyturds/gotterdammerung.html

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!