turning of vsync(?)

Started by
5 comments, last by branhield 21 years, 4 months ago
i heard that to remove the screen refresh-rate FPS limit u have to turn of vsync or something..how do i do this..does it have any negative effects on performance or whatever?
Advertisement
How you do it depends on what rendering package you''re using (ie OPenGL, Direct3D). It''s not really a good idea because it can result in visual artifacts such as tearing.
I agree. I''d leave vsync on. Otherwise you''ll start modifying the video memory while the video card is trying to render it to the monitor and you get flickering. Ugly, ugly flickering.

On a note, I don''t know why you''d need over 75 fps... most people cant differentiate between 30 and 60.
Member of the Unban nes8bit or the White Rhino in my Basement Gets Sold to the Highest Bidder Association (UNWRBGSHBA - Not accepting new members.)Member of the I'm Glad Mithrandir Finally Found an Association that Accepts People with his Past History Association (IGMFFAAPPHA)
well..being able to see the real framerate is good for ie. checking the performance of my engine..

edit
when vsync is turned off, can it be turned back on again?

[edited by - branhield on November 18, 2002 3:48:19 PM]
ttt
Here''s how to do it in OpenGL:

http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=115195

Yes you can turn it on/off as you like.

(Hope I didn''t doublepost now)
thx m8

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement