Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dev C++ how far can you go with it??

This topic is 5503 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I''m still fairly new at this, ultimately I''ll be creating 3D games. My question is this. How good is Dev C++ for windows game programming? I have it now, and it works great for the basic beginner programs I''m doing now, (dispite having to add the lines int x; std::cin >> x; at the end of my console programs IE:they close in the blink of an eye ) Will Dev C++ allow me to ultimately create more complex windows games or is there another better one for this purpose? (I do have the introductory version of Visual C++ haven''t tried that one though) Thank you in advance to anyone who can provide insight on this for me.

Guest Anonymous Poster
you can pretty much go as far as you want with devc++ i would assume... its just vc++ is the "standard"

try adding system("pause) function to your program:

#include <iostream.h>
#include <stdlib.h> //for for system("pause" function

int main()

{
cout << "Now you can see this.";
system("pause";
return 0;
}

having finished a win32-gui app (no resource editor - ouch) with it, i think devc++ is a pretty neat tool - the mingw32 compiler is also able to handle template tricks where even vc7 bails out...
Only drawback: if you enable code completion it will crash a lot, but on the other hand - who cares for that feature anyway ;-)

I use DevC++ and have only had one problem with it.
It crashes almost every time you try to use a project. I am cutrently trying to learn openGL and i need to use the projects. When i use it it will suddenly crash.

Ishamael02
Betrayer of Hope
Eldar_mage
Peter B

Like someone said, disable auto-completion and it will solve the crash bug.

Try writing an 800 line program in Pico and you will think Dev C++ is a gift straight from heaven.

I have recently successfully compiled a fairly large project using SDL, SDL_Image, SDL_Mixer (drop me a mail if you need to do that and have trouble).

How reliable is the mingw32 compiler? (I hope it''s better than the dev-c++ environmnet)

Yes, DevC++ can do most things, but Visual C++ # has a lot more tools. Eg resource editor, class view (very handy) a nice debugger and very nice and helpful programs with full source code.
Plus, it has a good help system (all 300mb of it)

The past was unknown, the future was predicted.

The newest version of Dev-C++ has a class browser, I just wish that they would upgrade to the newest version of MinGW. I personally love Dev-C++, only I can''t get my DirectX programs to compile in it, no matter what I do.

quote:
Original post by Diodor
How reliable is the mingw32 compiler? (I hope it''s better than the dev-c++ environmnet)

I think it is verry verry reliable. The compiler in mingw is same that is used to build Linux so it must be reliable.

Thank you all for your replies. They have been most insightful as to Dev C++'s capabilities.
I'm glad I'm part of this online community/forum. It's refreshing to see a place where people will help you rather than flame you for lack of anything better to do.

[edited by - Oryon on November 19, 2002 2:15:25 PM]