Simulation Design Document

Started by
5 comments, last by loftyideals 21 years, 5 months ago
Hi. I''ve written a couple of decent design documents for action games and puzzle games. I''m currently working on a design doc for a simulation game. It doesn''t fall within the "normal" design doc stats. Any thoughts on how to make a design doc for a sim game, or does anyone out there have any templates? dev
Advertisement
I am currently designing a WW1 simulation, hopefully of the utmost fidelity. Since the medium determines much about the gameplay, and in a simulation, the graphics are meant to be as realistic as possible, that leaves look and feel.

For instance, I am doing a lot of research on the music of the period, to play while the player is at their pilot management screen in a campaign- I want to have ambient music, perhaps a radio, perhaps a really-old style record player. Maybe Allied/German propoganda broadcasts if I can find some recordings or transcripts.

I look at a simulation from the standpoint of immersing you in a period. Even though the original Red Baron was a poor simulation, it immersed you with things like challenges from other Aces of the period; the newspaper clippings with news of the war; and findally, during the campaign, what planes entered the fray when has taught me much about the period and how the men flying on both sides must have felt about such things.

-Steven Rokiski

[edited by - SteevR on November 18, 2002 12:34:45 AM]
-Steven RokiskiMetatechnicality
I''m talking more like a simulation like fast-food tycoon, etc... rather than a historic/situational sim, but some of the same problems have come up.

My problem lies within describing the gameplay. I know exactly how the game will play and I know how to flesh it out into a technical document. I guess I''m having problems with the "game overview" part of it.

Good luck on your WWI sim.

BTW-- if you want original music from that period, I''m an in-house composer and audio director for a small development company. I''m allowed to take and do contract work for other projects if you want some music or sound design.

dev
Quick Example:

Game Overview:

The game will be based around the creation of a Fast Food empire. Players will be able to choose to develop diffrent foods, from hamburgers to chicken and to build shops to sell it. They will be affected by things such as demand, the quality of their food, etc.

Something along those lines. It does not have to be too detailed, otherwise it would fall under other sections such as Gameplay or Interface or Technical, etc.

Have Fun

Do not meddle in the affairs of moderators, for they are subtle and quick to anger.ANDREW RUSSELL STUDIOS
Cool Links :: [ GD | TG | MS | NeHe | PA | SA | M&S | TA | LiT | H*R ]
Got Clue? :: [ Start Here! | Google | MSDN | GameDev.net Reference | OGL v D3D | File Formats | Go FAQ yourself ]

Hm, not to easy indeed.

I would say, write all the different elements down. So what elements are important for your fastfood tent in order to be successful? Describe how those systems work and what parameters are important to watch for. Describe shortly how different parameters influence other parameters so that you show the complexity and challenge in this game.
I'm in the middle of a start-up. We are planing to go online soon with our concept and are in the search for talented motivated enthousiastic programmers!
Hm, not to easy indeed.

I would say, write all the different elements down. So what elements are important for your fastfood tent in order to be successful? Describe how those systems work and what parameters are important to watch for. Describe shortly how different parameters influence other parameters so that you show the complexity and challenge in this game.
I'm in the middle of a start-up. We are planing to go online soon with our concept and are in the search for talented motivated enthousiastic programmers!
Andrew- Thanks for that sentence. It was what I needed to brek my writer''s block.

I''ve completed the design proposal/concept doc and now I''m onto the design doc for the demo. Then fleshing out the design doc for the full game.

Thanks

Dev

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement