MSVC++ 6.0 - compiling for DOS mode

Started by
5 comments, last by Dwiel 21 years, 5 months ago
Hello, I''m sorry I have to ask this seeingly stupid question, but... When I compiled a short program I wrote and put it on a disk to run on a DOS machine... It wouldn''t run. This is because MSVC++ 6.0 compiles to a standard Win32 exe. How can I change the way it compiles so that it will run on a machine running ONLY DOS on it? thanx sooooo much for the help! tazzel3d ~ dwiel
Advertisement
Im not sure but don''t you just make a console application and not include any windows header files?
As far as I know, it cannot be done.
quote:Original post by Tazzel3D
How can I change the way it compiles so that it will run on a machine running ONLY DOS on it?

You can''t. MSVC 6 cannot produce DOS executables.
If you really need to create a DOS application, I would recommend using DJGPP, or perhaps Borland''s Turbo C.

Stupid server errors ...

ReactOS - an Open-source OS compatible with Windows NT apps and drivers
ReactOS - an Open-source operating system compatible with Windows NT apps and drivers
Hey,

That really stinks...

I kinda assumed that it wasn''t possible because when you go to build a project, the only option uner Platform was Win32...

huh ok I think I''ll just get Borland...

that works for DOS right?

btw, Thanx for the fast replies!!

tazzel3d ~ dwiel
Hello, I was wondering if there was a basic copiler that created DOS executables. I don''t need anything fancy. I got Borlan, but it doesn''t have a function to send data to the port... like an outportb() or an _outp(). Or at least i can''t find one. Is there one?

If not, what compiler is really basic and has a routine to access the port?

thanx sooo much

tazzel3d ~ dwiel
DJGPP does.

Installation is basically unzipping everything to the same directory, adding

set PATH=C:\ (where you unzipped to) \BIN;%PATH%
set DJGPP=C:\ (where you unzipped to) \DJGPP.ENV

to your autoexec.bat file or making a batch file to do it if you would rather not screw with what your computer does when it boots.

To actually use it and executables you make with it in DOS you need a DPMI server, I think it comes with one, if not you can download one here.
Chess is played by three people. Two people play the game; the third provides moral support for the pawns. The object of the game is to kill your opponent by flinging captured pieces at his head. Since the only piece that can be killed is a pawn, the two armies agree to meet in a pawn-infested area (or even a pawn shop) and kill as many pawns as possible in the crossfire. If the game goes on for an hour, one player may legally attempt to gouge out the other player's eyes with his King.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement