Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How do I get a console window with a Win32 app?

This topic is 5503 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have a simple Win32 application that does nothing more than display a small window. Can I also get the program to open a console window (dos box), which I can print debug output to? Is it fairly simple, or very involved? Thanks http://www.stodge.net - the powerhouse in personal commentary

int con = 0;

// Create the console...

if (con = AllocConsole ()) {
freopen ("CONOUT$", "w", stdout);
freopen ("CONIN$", "r", stdin);
}

// Print stuff...

printf ("Hello world!\n");

// Later, when you're done with it...

if (con)
FreeConsole ();

[edited by - bishop_pass on November 19, 2002 2:34:25 AM]

The big problem with AllocConsole is that little close button on the console window. Click that and your app terminates and there isn''t a damn thing you can do about it. It would be a very simple and elegant tool if you could just trap that button and make it close the window instead of killing the app.

I haven''t tried it, but you might be able to set up a handler routine (using SetConsoleCtrlHandler()) to trap CTRL_CLOSE_EVENT events and prevent the console from being closed.

It doesn''t look like it''s possible. Windows interprets clicking the X button as the user''s intention to terminate the process.

No way around it using AllocConsole and FreeConsole()