Math book on 3D graphics

Started by
4 comments, last by ECKILLER 23 years, 11 months ago
Hi, I bought the book "Real time rendering" however the math in it is way beyond me. The idea of taking entire semester courses isn''t sounding time efficient because probably only a few sections of the course will focus on the math i need for graphics. Are there any books that focus just on teaching the math of 3D graphics?? ECKILLER
ECKILLER
Advertisement
Off the top of my head, I''d suggest:

Computer Graphics, Mathematical First Steps by Egerton, P.A. and Hall, W.S.; Published by Prentice-Hall (1998).

There''s a couple of other good books, I''d recommend, but I don''t recall their names and unfortunately I am miles away from my bookshelf.

I''ll have to re-respond later today.
I havn''t read it (yet) but there is an allegedly good book on quaternions and rotation sequences. At amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0691058725/o/qid=956603470/sr=8-1/ref=aps_sr_b_1_1/104-7357000-1336467

Mike
"Unintentional death of one civilian by the US is a tragedy; intentional slaughter of a million by Saddam - a statistic." - Unknown
A great way to start actually, is to pick up a basic linear algebra book. Something that has simultaneous equation solving, vector and matrix math, moving into eigenvectors/eigenvalues and more complicated stuff. There are tons of them out there and they''re a great primer.
Volition, Inc.
I have Cutting Edge 3D Game Programming by John de Goes. He''s the guy that wrote the awful so-called "book" Direct3D Game Programming, but Cutting Edge is pretty good. It deals mainly with DOS and not at all with DirectX, but that''s good, because it relies on no APIs; it does everything itself. It discusses transformations, phong and gourad shading, perspective-correct texture mapping, etc.

Of course, it''s like $40 or $50 even though about 40% is useless to you (it deals with graphics, input, and sound under DOS). So you may want to scour the web instead. MSDN''s Direct3D IM tutorials actually give the surprisingly simple code for transforming polygon coordinates into screen coordinates without using Direct3D''s transformation pipeline.

~CGameProgrammer( );

~CGameProgrammer( );Developer Image Exchange -- New Features: Upload screenshots of your games (size is unlimited) and upload the game itself (up to 10MB). Free. No registration needed.
Hi!

I also have the Moller rendering text you refer to.

As a support text, I bought Understanding Mechanics by Sadler and Thorning - Oxford University Press. Any maths book along these lines is generally better than a CG book with a few maths appendices at the back.

There are far too many folks on these messages boards that are trying to run before walking, and I''m sure you''re going to get more out of the rendering text if you supplement it with some applied mathematics texts.

Good hunting,

Martin

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement