• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Xanthen

Is this enough of a demo to get a game programming job

This topic is 5804 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Here I am 8 months after I sent out my demo and resumes and still no job in the game industry. I suppose part of that is my fault... as I haven't sent out any resumes since then either. But, I haven't been sitting around for 8 months either. I thought I had enough of a demo when I finished the first demo, oh so long ago. But all the companies I went to came back with the same thing... Sorry not enough experience. My theory is no one is retiring from the game industry since the whole thing is so young. So companies can get by stealing employees from other companies. And only a minimum number of newbie hopeful game developers are ever hired. (and only to accommadate the increasing number of companies in the industry) So here I am now, completing my next demo and sending out resumes. Do I have enough of a demo now? I wonder. Heres my website to my demo (screenshots and download are there) Click Here to go to Website [edited by - Xanthen on November 19, 2002 4:23:57 AM]

Advertisement
First of all, there are tons of articles here and elsewhere on how to get a job in the games industry... you should take a look at those. Second, it strikes me that you are not listening to the well-intentioned advice that these companies are giving you. They say "you don''t have enough experience" and then in the next line you rationalize their non-interest with an excuse that takes all the blame off of you. This is not a proactive thing to do.

Now then... I did not see a link to your resume on your web site, but how much professional programming experience do you have? Do you have any experience with shipping products? Also, one theme that you will see time and time again in the "how to get a job in the industry" articles is that people START AT THE BOTTOM and work their way up... they go in as level designers and button monkeys (testers) and then get promoted from within. What kind of positions have you been applying for?

Finally, while the above may sound fairly harsh, the truth is that you are partly right -- the industry is definitely saturated with talent right now and getting any sort of programming job is hard, but especially in a competitive field like game development. For the companies that you applied to, where they specifically looking for 3D programmers? If not, then 99 times out of 100 they are going to reject any applicants, no matter how talented.

I took a look at your gallery and the screenshots of your demo are very impressive. My advice to you is to keep up the work, get a job where you can (if you don''t have one already) and just stick to it. Work on completing a game using your engine, even if it''s just a small Freeware or Shareware game. Completed projects are much more impressive to a company than demos. If you continue to develop your skills and stay motivated, there is no question in my mind that you will eventually get what you want.

Guest Anonymous Poster
Don''t listen to Pyabo. There are companies out there that hire programmers without experience if they have an impressive demo and impressive skills. You just have to look harder to find them and be more open to relocation. Most companies will tell you that you need more experience but eventually, you''ll find a few that want entry-level people. And I don''t think programmers are generally hired up from level design or testing positions.

I definitely think your demo is impressive and polished enough. Just curious. Have you finished any education past high-school?

Well, it depends on where you are looking for work I guess. I have worked at two game companies here in Sweden, one of them is a major one. I had almost nothing to show when I first was looking for a job as a programmer. I do have a bachelor degree in Software Engineering, but no one has ever asked about that.

I really don''t recognize that it is hard to get a job as a game developer. With that demo of yours it would be a piece of cake to get a job here!

Good luck in the future!

Pyabo. For one thing, my theory was why it was so hard to get hired. I''m not placing blame on any companies. I don''t feel like I was blaming anyone at all.

I have read many articles, but I disagree with you about starting from the bottom, as in Level design. That would be totally silly to only hire programmers from their current crop of Level designers. The two fields don''t overlap at all. One is an artistic position and requires no programming knowledge. The other doesn''t require so much artistic ability.

In some ways though, you and the AP are right. Part of the problem is that I am being picky. I''m hoping to skip the very bottom rung, and I don''t send out my resume and demo to everyone, but only certain companies. And where I end up relocating is definatly a concern of mine.

I felt the same way when I was interviewing, Xanthen.

I never got into the industry, and to tell you the truth, I''m partially glad I didn''t. I don''t know how well I would have been able to stay in a position I wasn''t happy with, not knowing what else would be necessary to end up where I would want to be, wherever that is.

Some people might get lucky and hop in on a higher rung and end up where they want to be. Key word lucky.

Be a game programmer as a hobby. Do it for fun. In this world you have to be realistic. Right now there aren''t too many jobs for programmers. You should go into something else that you like but that is in demand. Like I said be realistic.

Hey, don''t forget to visit my page... by clicking here!

[Edit]

I tried to sound overly dramatic, but it just sounded like a flame.
so No comment instead.

[edited by - Xanthen on November 19, 2002 3:49:48 PM]

The industry sucks right now, and has been sucking along for over a year. Contracts are given out these days through nepotism and who-you-know. It''s just too risky for a publisher to drop down a mil or two on an unknown (no matter how talented you are). Most people I know have been out of work for over 6 months. Here in Maryland they are talking about extending unemployment comp past the additional 13 weeks that Bush signed into act.

Sorry, if I sound bitter. I''m having a bad day. One of my job leads just turned down my bid, so I grok what you''re going through. That, coupled with an Am-way jerk-weed wanting to recruit me, has left me with a very sour taste for the future. Where''s my Prozak!?

I say look to Dave Mathews for inspiration. The man published and sold his CDs out of his trunk until the record companies came to him. Showing a potential publisher an awesome demo won''t even get you an interview. You have to convince them that they''ll make tons-o-cash if they produce your game.

-Alfred Hitchcock

Nice looking screen shots. Now, how does someone make money off that skill? There are plenty of starving artists in the world unwilling to sacrifice their principles in pursuit of the almighty dollar. Are you one of them? What shows your willingness to do whatever it takes for them to make money off you as long as they cut you in on the pie? Talent doesn''t show that and that is all your demo shows. First they take a small risk and make a small amount of money off you. If and only if you win their trust do they take a large risk and make a large amount of money off you.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!