• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

drarem

X marks the spot?

This topic is 5724 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I wrote a small landscape editing program, with the help from this forum and others. When I use it to draw an 'X' into the mesh, raising the vertices to a specified height, the diagonal to the left shows up as spikes, whereas the diagonal going to the right shows up as spikes+embedded wall when either smooth-shaded or texture-shaded. The mesh is drawn out as quads btw. I thought I had it wrong, then I tried the same thing in anim8or (www.anim8or.com), and it does the exact same thing. Going one way, the diagonal is a row of spikes, the other way it is spikes + what looks like a wall or the spikes are connected together or something. After subdividing it looks ok tho. What is going on here? I fseek, therefore I fam. [edited by - drarem on November 19, 2002 12:47:56 PM]

Advertisement
This is due to the way triangles are oriented in a mesh of quads. Quads are drawn like this:

|---|
|\ |
| \ |
| \|
|---|

(excuse the artwork...)

If you view it in wireframe, you''ll see why this happens - one way you get triangles raised all the way along, the other you just get an edge.

At least, I think that''s what''s happening.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!