Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

what makes a good game great?

This topic is 5500 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

unreal tournament 2003 is rehashed quake 3, if u get my drift. I tried out the demo, wasn''t impressed with the few blades of grass and extra fancy ledges and such. The weapons suck too. I still prefer quake 3.

mechwarrior 4 mercenaries is lacking major from mech 2 mercenaries in terms of gameplay and music. In gameplay, it reminds me of windows 98/2000/XP too much.. aaahhhhh that is what happens when Micro$oft gets ahold of it. Mech 2 had a custom GUI where everything kind of flowed together. Mech 2 also felt very single-playerability. In mech 4 merc I didn''t have that same feel for some reason.

To try to answer your question, originality is a good one, story line is another, sound effects are not high as priority.

I fseek, therefore I fam.

The same thing that makes a good movie or book great.
Whenever I play a game that occasionally makes me blink and realize I''ve forgotten I''m *playing* a game, then I know it''s great. When I begin to care for the characters(where applicable), It''s good, and when I feel like I''m right there with them, it''s grand.
Storyline is always an amazing part of a game. I have no examples, as I just woke up, so we''ll leave it there.
Graphics can do as much for as they can against. Phantasy Star 4 and FF7(We all knew it was coming in this thread, it comes in every "great game thread" but really, do yourselves a favor and Phantasy Star 4)are technically illiterate compared to newer games, but they still reign as the best in their genre''s. Ditto for things such as Half-Life, X-Com, Civilization, and so on. Flashy isn''t everything.
Sound is, though often unnoticed, a large part of the equation. The major example coming to mind being the score for Final Fantasy 7. I have known faaaaarrrr too many fanboys in my day who would rant on and on about the One Winged Angel theme.
I''ve played Deus Ex 4 times. Mmhm.
Gameplay is far too abstract a term. At least in the type of question you''re asking. Some people would argue for or against repetition, and there are solid examples on each side. I guess the only thing I can think of is to make sure gameplay is intuitive. Legend of Dragoon was graphically nice, sound was great, the FMV''s were astonishing(for a PSX), story was intriguing....but the gameplay sucked. Having to actively button-jam during combat was massively annoying.

-Ryan "Run_The_Shadows"
-Run_The_Shadows@excite.com
-The Navidson Record! The best film you''ll never see!

Time and circumstances. Both in terms of each individual player and also in terms of history and the state of the industry.

In terms of the individual player: I''ve noticed that a lot of teenagers state Final Fantasy 7 as great. I think it might be because, as teenagers, they were going through similar problems as its main character, Cloud.

In terms of the history: I think the latest Medal of Honor series has gotten a great boost from the general WWII trend going around.

In terms of the state of the industry: I think Tetris Attack for the SNES is one of the greatest puzzle games ever but it came out late in the SNES'' career and didn''t ever take off.

Great Game = Gameplay + Immersion
In my opinion, that is the equation for the perfect game. Good games, only fulfil one or the other, or parts of both, but they do not satisfy the equation fully.

Guest Anonymous Poster
I completely agree with Run_The_Shadows. I often think of games like I think of movies, books, etc. Often I get lost in the games intensity be it intense emotionally, action, whatever. I think a great game can take a story which makes the player feel for the charcters (exactly like a movie or play) and combine it with gameplay that they can use to interact with the story. Good games often have one of the above or have a little of each but the best games go beyond graphics and put you IN the game.

thats just what i think though.

Put some really addictive feature in it. Like Diablo 2, I don''t what it is but I hate the game and can''t stop playing it. Blizzard knows the secret, probably subliminal sound files playing at the same time as the normal music on a higher frequency. I don''t know but I hate it and just can''t stop playing!

If you don''t have that magic game crack then you can always rely on fun. DOn''t stop with your closed beta testers go out and let your friends try it and some people that you know, still keep it closed but less professional if they find it fun chances are a good hundred other people will too (now how do you find those people?).

quote:
Original post by Fuzztrek
Blizzard.

BLIZZARD's games tend to have all the good features. i could not stop playing starcraft until jeff took his cd back... the game was just fun and interesting to play. ill admit that by the end, i was a little annoyed by the lack of different types of levels. i really hated the small group thing wandering through giant mazes with traps. diablo (1 and 2) were fun, and ditto with jeff and his cds... lol...

SIERRA's games are great, esp the old ones. quest for gold, the kings quests, space quests, police quests, etc. i spent a LONG time on police quest 1 until i couldn't get up the damn stairs at the end... stupid keyboard.

LUCAS ARTS knows how to make games. i played day of the tentacle for a LONG time, and spent just as long playing maniac mansion on weird cousin ed's computer after i fixed his stamp book. full throttle, and the dig!

something else cool about the old games: the gameplay. police quest 1 made you type everything. despite the limited vocabulary, it was fun. the only problem was when i had to move my guy into the open quickly and immediately scream 'stop! dont move! police! we have you!' or something like that. i dont like being forced to type that fast. in dott, dig, etc., you get little text to click on 'pick up' 'open' 'close' etc, and then you click on the thing on the screen (ie, click 'open' and then the door) it made the game more fun than clicking 'enter' or something. of course, that wouldnt work for, say, an fps.

the dig: it was a book by alan dean foster and happened to lend itself to a problem solving game. i think it was an excellent example of a good game. obviously the storyline was good, the music was pretty cool, and the graphics were decent, especially considering it was made for dos. you could connect with low (the main character) and get into the game.

so:
storyline
view style
dialogue
connectability (lol)
music
controls
gameplay
polish

and im sure there are others, but those are some of the basics

-geo-
http://www.geocities.com/elementum_game