what makes a good game great?

Started by
10 comments, last by nowiseguy 21 years, 4 months ago
Put some really addictive feature in it. Like Diablo 2, I don''t what it is but I hate the game and can''t stop playing it. Blizzard knows the secret, probably subliminal sound files playing at the same time as the normal music on a higher frequency. I don''t know but I hate it and just can''t stop playing!

If you don''t have that magic game crack then you can always rely on fun. DOn''t stop with your closed beta testers go out and let your friends try it and some people that you know, still keep it closed but less professional if they find it fun chances are a good hundred other people will too (now how do you find those people?).
Advertisement
quote:Original post by Fuzztrek
Blizzard.

BLIZZARD's games tend to have all the good features. i could not stop playing starcraft until jeff took his cd back... the game was just fun and interesting to play. ill admit that by the end, i was a little annoyed by the lack of different types of levels. i really hated the small group thing wandering through giant mazes with traps. diablo (1 and 2) were fun, and ditto with jeff and his cds... lol...

SIERRA's games are great, esp the old ones. quest for gold, the kings quests, space quests, police quests, etc. i spent a LONG time on police quest 1 until i couldn't get up the damn stairs at the end... stupid keyboard.

LUCAS ARTS knows how to make games. i played day of the tentacle for a LONG time, and spent just as long playing maniac mansion on weird cousin ed's computer after i fixed his stamp book. full throttle, and the dig!

something else cool about the old games: the gameplay. police quest 1 made you type everything. despite the limited vocabulary, it was fun. the only problem was when i had to move my guy into the open quickly and immediately scream 'stop! dont move! police! we have you!' or something like that. i dont like being forced to type that fast. in dott, dig, etc., you get little text to click on 'pick up' 'open' 'close' etc, and then you click on the thing on the screen (ie, click 'open' and then the door) it made the game more fun than clicking 'enter' or something. of course, that wouldnt work for, say, an fps.

the dig: it was a book by alan dean foster and happened to lend itself to a problem solving game. i think it was an excellent example of a good game. obviously the storyline was good, the music was pretty cool, and the graphics were decent, especially considering it was made for dos. you could connect with low (the main character) and get into the game.

so:
storyline
view style
dialogue
connectability (lol)
music
controls
gameplay
polish

and im sure there are others, but those are some of the basics

-geo-
http://www.geocities.com/elementum_game