what makes a good game great?

Started by
10 comments, last by nowiseguy 21 years, 5 months ago
is it a terrific story? life-like graphic? earth-shattering sound? lasting appeal? excellent gameplay? what makes a gr8 game?
Advertisement
Fun.
unreal tournament 2003 is rehashed quake 3, if u get my drift. I tried out the demo, wasn''t impressed with the few blades of grass and extra fancy ledges and such. The weapons suck too. I still prefer quake 3.

mechwarrior 4 mercenaries is lacking major from mech 2 mercenaries in terms of gameplay and music. In gameplay, it reminds me of windows 98/2000/XP too much.. aaahhhhh that is what happens when Micro$oft gets ahold of it. Mech 2 had a custom GUI where everything kind of flowed together. Mech 2 also felt very single-playerability. In mech 4 merc I didn''t have that same feel for some reason.

To try to answer your question, originality is a good one, story line is another, sound effects are not high as priority.

I fseek, therefore I fam.
I'll give you a beating like Rodney King who deserved it!=====================================Any and all ideas, theories, and text c2004,c2009 BrainDead Software. All Rights Reserved.
Blizzard.
The same thing that makes a good movie or book great.
Whenever I play a game that occasionally makes me blink and realize I''ve forgotten I''m *playing* a game, then I know it''s great. When I begin to care for the characters(where applicable), It''s good, and when I feel like I''m right there with them, it''s grand.
Storyline is always an amazing part of a game. I have no examples, as I just woke up, so we''ll leave it there.
Graphics can do as much for as they can against. Phantasy Star 4 and FF7(We all knew it was coming in this thread, it comes in every "great game thread" but really, do yourselves a favor and Phantasy Star 4)are technically illiterate compared to newer games, but they still reign as the best in their genre''s. Ditto for things such as Half-Life, X-Com, Civilization, and so on. Flashy isn''t everything.
Sound is, though often unnoticed, a large part of the equation. The major example coming to mind being the score for Final Fantasy 7. I have known faaaaarrrr too many fanboys in my day who would rant on and on about the One Winged Angel theme.
I''ve played Deus Ex 4 times. Mmhm.
Gameplay is far too abstract a term. At least in the type of question you''re asking. Some people would argue for or against repetition, and there are solid examples on each side. I guess the only thing I can think of is to make sure gameplay is intuitive. Legend of Dragoon was graphically nice, sound was great, the FMV''s were astonishing(for a PSX), story was intriguing....but the gameplay sucked. Having to actively button-jam during combat was massively annoying.

-Ryan "Run_The_Shadows"
-Run_The_Shadows@excite.com
-The Navidson Record! The best film you''ll never see!
Polish. When you don''t say, "It was a good game BUT this really annoyed me". A great game is a good game with the annoying, unfun, and boring spots taken out.

Jack
Time and circumstances. Both in terms of each individual player and also in terms of history and the state of the industry.

In terms of the individual player: I''ve noticed that a lot of teenagers state Final Fantasy 7 as great. I think it might be because, as teenagers, they were going through similar problems as its main character, Cloud.

In terms of the history: I think the latest Medal of Honor series has gotten a great boost from the general WWII trend going around.

In terms of the state of the industry: I think Tetris Attack for the SNES is one of the greatest puzzle games ever but it came out late in the SNES'' career and didn''t ever take off.
Great Game = Gameplay + Immersion
In my opinion, that is the equation for the perfect game. Good games, only fulfil one or the other, or parts of both, but they do not satisfy the equation fully.

I completely agree with Run_The_Shadows. I often think of games like I think of movies, books, etc. Often I get lost in the games intensity be it intense emotionally, action, whatever. I think a great game can take a story which makes the player feel for the charcters (exactly like a movie or play) and combine it with gameplay that they can use to interact with the story. Good games often have one of the above or have a little of each but the best games go beyond graphics and put you IN the game.

thats just what i think though.
how bout uniqueness..games that have a lot of difference than most other games, a lot of firsts(of course if it''s implemented properly...)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement