Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BSP and Portails

This topic is 5504 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Using a good technique to render an environment is important so rather than developping a crap algorithm, I thought that I have to ask for opinion. Several years ago, the good technique was to subdivide the environment using a BSP tree and portail. So, all the environment is subdivied by rooms and each room is placed in the BSP tree. But that could be good is the rooms are not complex. If a lot of faces is required, the system has to draw a lot of faces and for collision detection it''s could be long. Then I was thinking of using one BSP by room. Each room is a sector which contains a list of portails and a BSP. class CRoom { BSPNODE* Head ListOfPortail listportail; } Then a portail defines two rooms. class CPortail { CRoom *One, *two; ListOfFaces portail_itself; } and finally the tree contains Node which are defines as class CNode { Place PlaneUsedForCollision ListOfFace MeshInsideTheNode <- if a leaf CNode *one, *two; } So, what do you think?