Where do I start when creating my first 3D engine?

Started by
12 comments, last by Omnipotent 21 years, 5 months ago
As far as differences between OGL and D3D are concerned the only real difference is D3D''s shader language. There may be slight performance differences, but I''d imagine that''s just got to do with driver quality. Article.

sledge: UT2003 also supports OGL (UT2003/System/OpenGLDrv.dll - this file seem similar?), as does Warcraft III, both games look good.

Omnipotent: I''d start with designing the architecture first then when it comes time for coding, I would start with the renderer - so it could display debug info, and so I could see results - how am I supposed to know my terrain engine works if I can''t see how it looks?

Henrym
My Site
Advertisement
Hey I''m not bashing DX at all...i love DX. I was just suprised that someone would say "why would someone need OpenGL". No one ''needs'' it, but the API is a great tool to have under your belt when you are out there in the gaming industry.

BTW, the unreal engine is decent, I''ll give you that. But I still see problems in both UT and UT2k3 that are just recurring D3D problems that I see in other games that use the same graphics API. Let''s not forget though that DX is still the heart and sole of most all games. Graphics is only a fraction of it. DX input, sound, and network methods are great.

I have just noticed in the past that OGL graphics always seem to perform better than D3D. I''m not saying that D3D is crap...it just needs some more work. And it never hurts to learn OGL.

-Q
Sorry guys, I wasn''t trying to start another bout of OpenGL vs. Direct3D related bickering. I was just trying to say that Mr. Anonymous'' post that OpenGL was the far superior API was unfounded. Both APIs have their advantages and disadvantages and game developers have managed to produce remarkable things with both of them. Now just to be picky:

quote:Quoted from ut2003 ReadMe.txt
The OpenGL renderer is not officially supported on Windows but might be
a good choice on certain hardware / driver combinations as it might
trigger fewer bugs in drivers. Unless you are experiencing serious visual
flaws there is no reason to change to the OpenGL renderer though. Unlike
Unreal Tournament, Unreal Tournament 2003 was designed around D3D and
offers the best performance and visual quality with the D3D renderer.

So that goes to show you that either API can be made to look good, it just depends on which one you''re targetting. Take it easy guys and no hard feelings!

Happy programming, Sledge
Dang omni, it sounds like you''ve already got D3D programming down. I think it''s time for you to leave tutorial land and strike out on you own! You should start designing your own stuff.

Alexander "DmGoober" Jhin
alexjh@online.microsoft.com
[Warning! This email account is not attended. All comments are the opinions of an individual employee and are not representative of Microsoft Corporation.]
Alexander "DmGoober" Jhinalexjh@online.microsoft.com[Warning! This email account is not attended. All comments are the opinions of an individual employee and are not representative of Microsoft Corporation.]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement