Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Installers / Self extracting executables

This topic is 5507 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I was just playing with InstallShield and it was pissing me off. It seemed overly complex for my tiny application, and, to be honest, in my limited time, I couldn''t figure out how to include my files. Anyway, I did a search for self extracting executables to see if there is any free convenient software to do this. I found a few things, but nothing that jumped out at me. I''m trying to get a couple files packaged up by tonight for distribution. Does anyone have any suggestions? Is there something out there that I''m missing?

I have used the formentioned Nullsoft Installed for an application, and am quite happy with it. You can find more info about it here: http://www.nullsoft.com/free/nsis/

In any case, it seems quite powerful, scriptable, and simple. (It would be a snap to add it to your build process, so creating of an installer is automated)

Took me no time to get it working when I tried it out.
Then again, it did completely (and irrecoverably) delete my desktop folder once.

Use it. But just be cautious when scripting stuff. (using the delete command in particular. I think it is broke'')

You could always make your own .

You could stick your stuff into the resource and use the resource apis to get the file sizes and data to use WriteFile to write them to disk.

Guest Anonymous Poster
I''ve used <a href="http://www.gdgsoft.com/pb/index.asp">Packet Builder</a> couple of times, which is quite OK to me (VC6 standard doesn''t include IS )

Ah and don't forget ISTool, a third-party tool for InnoSetup that provides a GUI for editing the configuration file.

[edited by - mutex on November 20, 2002 12:42:26 AM]