Networking in Massive Games

Started by
12 comments, last by Fistandantilus 21 years, 4 months ago
quote:Original post by Fistandantilus
Prefect are you sure?

I have taken this text from the SDK 8.0 doc:

"DirectPlay network service providers support communication over TCP/IP, IPX, modem, and serial links"

Yes, TCP/IP generally refers to a suite of protocols, including UDP. DirectPlay is implemented wholly with UDP (at least when using the TCP/IP suite of protocols, obviously, IPX, modem and serial links are done differently...)

If I had my way, I''d have all of you shot!

codeka.com - Just click it.
Advertisement
Have anybody actually TESTED this?

When I run the server I check the traffic using Performance Monitor in Win2K, and according to that there are both TCP and UDP packets being sent and received. Of course I''m trying to send as many packets as possible using the fast unreliable method, and only the important ones with DPNSEND_GUARANTEED.

In the DirectX 8.1 documentation it says

"It [TCP/IP] uses User Datagram Protocol (UDP) packets for nonguaranteed messaging and TCP for guaranteed messaging"

This doesn''t mean DirectPlay uses TCP, of course, because at another location it says:

"Because the DirectPlay and RTP protocols are both layered on top of the UDP protocol, their parsers may conflict. You should disable the RTP parser when analyzing DirectPlay traffic, and vice versa."

This hints that DP is a whole new packettype which also (as TCP) is built ontop of UDP...

Of course nothing of this is important since you should make your own decision anyway... and it''s kinda off-topic too

My Stuff : [ Whispers in Akarra (online rpg) || L33T WAR (multiplayer game) || The Asteroid Menace (another game) ]

My Stuff : [ Whispers in Akarra (online rpg) || L33T WAR (multiplayer game) || The Asteroid Menace (another game) ]
Does anyone has a link to information on implementing a reliable layer over UDP? Or maybe a book?

[edited by - fistandantilus on November 26, 2002 9:08:26 PM]
quote:Original post by stodge
I thought DirectPlay was designed to only support a maximum number of players? Hmmmmm, where did I get that from?

http://www.stodge.net - the powerhouse in personal commentary

I believe that up until DX8, DirectPlay had a maximum number of players. If my memory serves me correctly, the maximum used to be 64.

Trying is the first step towards failure.
Trying is the first step towards failure.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement