Hey guys, some questions about 2D stuff

Started by
5 comments, last by MattS423 21 years, 4 months ago
Hey, I''m just learing about Games and stuff and i was wondering if you guys could help me out. I''m more of a "Code monkey" than an artist, but i was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction to learning to make somewhat-realistic 2D bitmaps (or something...) to be used as sprites in a game. I know that there are several studio packages out there. do i need one or should I stick with MS paint? (cost is an issue...) whats the best thing out there? thanks guys, MattS423
Programmers of the world, UNTIE!
Advertisement
If cost is a problem then I would recommend trying Paint Shop Pro. The current version (version 7) is not too expensive and you often find free copies of earlier versions given away on magazine CD-ROMS (either full or trail versions).

If, like me, you''re no artist then you could try a slightly different approach to just using a paint package. I frequently use Truespace, Bryce and Poser to create 3D models of the characters in the games I''m coding, render them and use the resulting image as the basis for the sprites. All three packages are again not too expensive.

Don''t use MS Paint - I hate it (although I have seen it being used ''professionally'' in a non-gaming software company).

Jon.
Jon.

[edited by - beantas on November 20, 2002 9:26:43 AM]
yeah...i''ll look into GIMP.

I have a "try and buy" version of Paint Shop Pro...i haven''t installed it yet...
Programmers of the world, UNTIE!
I also suggest Paint Shop Pro, its very complex considering the price.
Although I haven''t tried GIMP, I can reveal that free software, in most cases, aren''t worth the download time...
the grand daddy of all 2d bitmap software is adobe photoshop...
once you get into the layers side of it you suddenly realise how powerfull it is.... if you can get your hands on a copy (the latest version is 7) you''ll throw MS paint in a corner and laugh at it for days on end

the grand daddy of all 2d bitmap software is adobe photoshop...
once you get into the layers side of it you suddenly realise how powerfull it is.... if you can get your hands on a copy (the latest version is 7) you''ll throw MS paint in a corner and laugh at it for days on end

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement