Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

pointer to multi-dimentional array

This topic is 5506 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Ok, I''ll start with what I''m trying to do. I want to pass a multi-dimentional array to a function. The function definition looks like this: void cConsole::DrawRect(SMALL_RECT &dRect, const CHAR_INFO *dChar) The first parameter gives the width and height of the array, the second gives the address. I want to be able to do this: dChar[10][10] Shouldn''t this work? I also can''t pass it on the other side, like so: CHAR_INFO myChar[10][10]; Console.DrawRect(myRect,myChar); Any thoughts on this?

Well, that helped on the function side, but on the passing side I still get this:

error C2664: ''cConsole::DrawRect'' : cannot convert parameter 2 from ''CHAR_INFO [10][10]'' to ''const CHAR_INFO ** ''

You can easily calculate the location in a multi-dimensional array by doing the following...

Index = (Y position * Max X size) + X position

That allows you to create a single-dimension array containing multi-dimensional data, like in the case of an int [10][10], for instance. It also makes things simpler, as the compiler doesn''t have to calculate two parameters for addressing your array, when it compiles the code.