Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Need help with two things:

This topic is 5503 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I''ve reached the point in my game where I need help again. One is, how do you do input for scores, when you type in your name. I''m using DirectInput 8 and I only know how to get each character individually, and I know that if I try, I can make my own input stuff, but I''m not going that far, unless that''s the only way. How do I do input with DirectInput that is like editor and allows you to backspace? (Oh it''s fullscreen, so can''t do dialog windows). Two, how do I manipulate files? I want to save/load scores and saved games. I want to have one file for loading/saving scores, and multiple saved games, but are able to seek files in a certain directory. Thanks for your help! Those two things are the last thing I have left before finishing my game. (The game in my signature is not the latest version)
Beyaan

Check out the fstream documentation in your compiler help file for file manipulation. There are a ton of ways to manupilate files, but I believe ifstream and ofstream to be the more common...

Sorry I can''t help ya with the input question...I haven''t looked at direct input yet. I''m still using the old fassioned GetAsyncKeyState() function for keyboard input.

-Q

DirectX allows you to use dialog boxes and controls, even fullscreen. IIRC, there''s an SDK example that covers this.

Don''t listen to me. I''ve had too much coffee.