What would be a good next project?

Started by
16 comments, last by Muzlack 21 years, 4 months ago
I cannot speak for Baldur''s gate since I haven''t played it, but Diablo is definately not an RPG. Diablo, to me, is more of a FPS with a sword in isometric view. What I meant by what RPGs, is someone that just begins game programming decides "I''m going to make an RPG like final fantasy VI and make it big." I''ve heard it a lot before. So after a few months of development, the person loses interest, and the project dies. I''m not saying it''s not a good goal, but most people won''t commit to what they''re making, and an tile-based game like the older final fantasy''s are usually one of the first games people think of doing. And also, for some reason, they''re the projects that fail the most (IMO). However, I AM serious about this project, I DO expect to finish, but I don''t know if the reaction to a finished RPG will be any different that a half-finished one.

--Muzlack
--Muzlack
Advertisement
Ok, I hadn't read that very last post when I made my last post, but I forgot to mention that EVERYTHING on my site is really out of date since I changed DSL servers in July, and I'm unable to access the FTP of the site. I have fixed the scrollybars and a lot of what you said already, I just need a chance to update my website, which is coming soon. And, webjunkie, I guess impress was the wrong word to say. But I don't think they're just gonna give me a job without a game or two to prove my worth.

[edited by - Muzlack on November 23, 2002 2:40:53 PM]
--Muzlack
Wouldn''t the fact that many RPG projects fail make a finished one look extremely good? RPGs are complicated beasts (yes, even Diablo, and I DO consider it an RPG. Just because the interface is simple doesn''t mean the rest of it is unworthy). If you can pull one off it shows that you have the work ethic, or at least the patience and drive, to start a project and see it to its end.
--------------------------{ Arena: Resurrection, my text-based RPG/Mortal Kombat-like game }{ A Look Into The World Of Arena II, a collection of short stories about characters in Arena II }
RPGs are the newbie game because newbies FOOLISHLY start RPGs, get frustrated and quit. RPGs are easily the most ambitious projects... FPS are the ''newbie'' games. They''re the ''easiest'' to code.
Muzlack college? Go there you will be happy you did.
Man you guys should be ashamed of yourself...

"everytime I read it it pisses me off"
"you''re a tard"

bloah bloah bloah

if you don''t have anything to add, just shut up...

So far for me being not nice and off-topic!

About your question: I know what you mean when you say RPGs are the newbie/simple genre. A really big amount of people start with an RPG (most of the time using 2D DirectDraw graphics ''n stuff)

So in that way it may be a bit simple. But you forget, an RPG can also be really advanced! A good RPG requires a good way of loading in/displaying the world (since worlds are often huge in those games)

it should gave a really advanced NPC AI, since NPCs are crucial in games like that. (Everyone should live their own lives and stuff)

This would also require a good scripting language for events in the world.

Then you could build a really complex class for your player with all kinds of skills, and possibilities.

RPGs can be as complex as you want them to be. So making another, more complex RPG is not a bad idea.

If you want to go for jobs, I''d recommend making some really different games. So think of something totally different from an RPG. Could be anything. For example, a sports game (already mentioned I think) would be a totally different approach. You could also make a flight simulator or some other simulator (requires some knowledge about the object to simulate though)

A real-time strategy game? Also learns you a lot, but it''s certainly not impossible to make.

The possibilities are endless... Try whatever you think will be most fun for you. Don''t worry too much about the job... just learn the job''ll come.
"Diablo, to me, is more of a FPS with a sword in isometric view."

So you you mean that Diablo is a First-Person Shooter except that it''s in isometric view and it''s not like you shoot anything either? LOL!
Ok, thanks guys. as for that totally different idea, I think that my adventure game falls under that category. I mean, except for old adventure game fans that are indie game developers, the ol'' sierra style adventure game is not often visited. It may still be similiar plot-wise (meaning adventure games have plots similiar to RPGs most of the time) but, the design of it would be completely different and it would be one of the most trivial types of game to make IMO, think about it. It has to have a darn good scripting language to work right, it has to have support for customizable GUI, and the ability to change they way a "textbox" appears, It has to have support for adding and drawing individual sprites (maybe character talking boxes) And many other things too. I believe I''ll stick to the same road, but make sure my RPG isn''t just like any other RPG

Thanks for the advice guys!

-Someone wise once told me this:

"Live forever, or die trying!"

--Muzlack

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement