Where can I find tips on code optomization?

Started by
14 comments, last by Qa303asmGuru 21 years, 5 months ago
quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
You totally lost me dude.

OK, I''ll put it another way. Basically, people can spend a lot of time optimising low-level code because their high-level design is inappropriate and causes the low-level code to be executed more times than it needs to. You should look at the high-level picture before deciding that low-level optimisation is appropriate.
Advertisement
Ahhh, that makes sense now. Thanks for clearing that up for me. I''m thinking about purchasing the book "Code Complete" for some instruction on how to write structurally good high level code. That book recieved some very good reviews.

-Q
VC++ 6.0 profiler ROCKS!!!! Thanks a MILLION for telling me about it!!! It is exactly the type of thing I was looking for-and easy way to time code without having to do it manually.

-Q
quote:Original post by Qa303asmGuru
VC++ 6.0 profiler ROCKS!!!!

As profilers go, it''s rather basic. There are far better ones out there if you are willing to fork out the cash.

God puts an apple tree in the middle of the Garden of Eden and says, do what you like guys, oh, but don''t eat the apple. Surprise surprise, they eat it and he leaps out from behind a bush shouting "Gotcha." It wouldn''t have made any difference if they hadn''t eaten it... because if you''re dealing with somebody who has the sort of mentality which likes leaving hats on the pavement with bricks under them you know perfectly well they won''t give up. They''ll get you in the end. -- Douglas Adams
--AnkhSVN - A Visual Studio .NET Addin for the Subversion version control system.[Project site] [IRC channel] [Blog]
I tried using the VC++ 6.0 profiler, but it doesn''t seem to be working right. It starts my program, switches the screen mode, but after a few seconds, it switches back without any errors or anything. This is similar to what would happen if I have a problem with a null pointer or file not found or something, but when I run the program normally, I don''t get any problems at all. The profiling information is listed, but it''s only 7 seconds worth, really just init functions.

Anyone else had this kind of problem?

£§
£§
I think i will ask now something also about optimation.

I have heared of STLPort - a faster STL implantation. How fast is it realy? Does make using STLPort instead of the VC++ 6.0 stl sense?
Then i am thinking that a very good point for optimations are the basic mathstuff like vectors, matrices or qautern. I found at the webpage of AMD and Intel some optimiced routines and a peace of source wich detact the cup of the target computer. What do you think about this optinon, to use, if possible, special cpu optimiced stuff.

Thanks, Christian

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement