How to write a game

Started by
14 comments, last by dcgeek 21 years, 4 months ago
thats a nice little game there
Advertisement
I just wanted to comment on the fact that I tried for two years to feed an appetite of wanting to write the "big" one. I thought "screw the small stuff, I''ll wait for the big one".

Do build small. I wasted 2 years (well, not totally wasted, but close enough) trying to write a RPG. It was pretty bad. Failure followed by another failure. I almost quit (you fail enough, you get there), then decided to start easy. I''m currently working on breakout and going to progress slowly from there. Don''t waste your time doing alot of big stuff up front. It will come.

Good luck.

Much greatness is achieved thru perseverance and faith.
Much greatness is achieved thru perseverance and faith.
quote:Original post by crazemanx
thats a nice little game there

Thanks, so it was an hour well spend then

Anyone noticed the bug?
BTW sorry for the link not working for some time - the server was down but it should work now.
If anyone is interested I could also post the GBA version with some nice GFX and - eh - a _little_ more than 328 lines and _lots_ of ''complicated stuff'' in it

cheers,
patrick

quote:Original post by Paladin__
Do build small. I wasted 2 years (well, not totally wasted, but close enough) trying to write a RPG. It was pretty bad. Failure followed by another failure. I almost quit (you fail enough, you get there), then decided to start easy.

quote:Much greatness is achieved thru perseverance and faith.

Please don''t consider this a derogatory post or flame of any type, but I just find it ironic (and a bit humorous) that you spent two years building an RPG and effectively gave up while your sig clearly says that perseverance and faith are the keys to success.

RapscallionGL - arriving soon.
________________________________________________"Optimal decisions, once made, do not need to be changed." - Robert Sedgewick, Algorithms in C
I think the basic point is, don''t bite off more than you can chew. I''ve done this on many occations, and I think I''ve only really "finished" about 5 of the dozens of projects I''ve started over the years.

The most important thing when starting out is to learn good programming techniques. That way, when you get to building more complicated projects, you can use more elegant, easier techniques rather than brute-force coding.

Object-oriented development is very important to learn. I would start with a good, basic C++ book, and start with coding pure console stuff, until you have that down.

It''s amazing how easily new concepts like DirectX come when you''re building on a solid foundation.
quote:Original post by dcgeek
I''m new to game programming, so therefore:
Where can I find a simple tutorial about how to write a game like pacman and/or ping pong, with simple graphics (NOT using SDL, can''t use SDL in Dev-C++). It have to be a tutorial about game programming in both console mode and Win32 API.

First of all, visit cone3d.gamedev.net to learn how to use SDL with Dev-C++. As for how to code a small game, try to figure it out on your own first, that way you''ll really feel like you''ve achieved something. If we just give you the answer, you won''t learn anything...

[Cyberdrek | the last true sorcerer | Spirit Mage - mutedfaith.com]
[Cyberdrek | ]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement