my early engine

Started by
13 comments, last by Andreidbz 21 years, 4 months ago
Hey Austrian Coder, it might be your graphics card bus speed and not the game code, in my engine I get >100 fps but only about 7 if I come near to a particle system. I have a GeForce2MX and its fillrate is limited.
Advertisement
Wow! Looks impressive...

Cheers,
Morgan
Cheers,Morgan
quote:Original post by Andreidbz
The bright terrain is a bug from multitexturing (i am working now on it). Push ''L'' or ''M'' for turning OFF the multitexturing. The tree i got it from a site and it has 6000 polygons, that''s why it is slowing the demo (i put the tree only to test the object rendering).

ok.. even so, 6000 polys shouldn''t hit the frame rate that badly...
if you pre sort the triangles into texture groups, and pre generate arrays with verticies and indicies, then all renderering would come down to is a few calls to bind texture, glXPointer and drawElements...
Just doing this, there isn''t really any reason that my hardware shouldn''t be getting ~3 million triangles second... yet the frame rate hit would show something more like 500k... which would be the sort of through put you''d get with glBegin/glEnd, etc..

I''m interested to know how you are drawing the tree... it just feels to bigger hit...

| - Project-X - my mega project.. big things comming soon - | - adDeath - an ad blocker I made - | - email me - |
The fact is the tree does not have textures, only colors on polys. The object is an .obj file. The drawing isn''t optimized because i don''t know if i will keep this object format in the engine (it''s good because it''s free). Another reason for the slowing is that when you are looking at the tree you look also at the water, and the water is slowing down the demo. Try removing the tree (delete the line "#obj data/obj pom.txt" in the file scena.txt from the folder scena). ''Scena'' means scene in my language. Without the tree how it works on your machine?
La peine d''un crever...La peine de tuer...La peine d''aller en enfer...Amen...
Rock steady 50-60fps (fullscreen) no matter where I look. Got about 30-70fps windowed (on a 1024x768 desktop). Good job, keep it up.

System:
Athlon XP 1800
256 RAM
Kyro II 64MB

[edited by - JuNC on November 24, 2002 8:19:37 AM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement