Collision detection in Quake

Started by
3 comments, last by Blitz 21 years, 4 months ago
How does collision detection in quake 1 work ? I''ve checked out the sources and looks like it uses convex hulls for this. Or something like that. And most quake clones basically just copied the original quake source for this. I was hoping that quake used solid leaf bsp trees, guess if i was dissapointed. So how exactly does it work?
Advertisement
It does use solid-leaf BSPs, just it uses several copies of it. Each copy is for a particular sized box (16x16,32x32,64x64 I think). You just decide which size you need and clip the displacment line against the given tree.

I could be wrong in this, it''s been a while since I read the Q1 source.
Where did u find the Quake 1 source code? Or maybe half life.
it used to be on id software''s homepage.

My Homepage
How many Microsoft employees does it take to screw in a light bulb?
None, they just declare drakness as a new standard.
My HomepageSome shoot to kill, others shoot to mame. I say clear the chamber and let the lord decide. - Reno 911
Both the Quake1 and the Quake2 engine sources are available under the GPL, and have been for quite some time.

www.quakesrc.org

-----------------------
"When I have a problem on an Nvidia, I assume that it is my fault. With anyone else''s drivers, I assume it is their fault" - John Carmack
-----------------------"When I have a problem on an Nvidia, I assume that it is my fault. With anyone else's drivers, I assume it is their fault" - John Carmack

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement