Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

multi-thread access

This topic is 5507 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

i''m accessing a common variable between two threads. Unfortunately, even though I protect the variable using a CCriticalSection, a problem occurs. When one thread updates the variable, the other thread doesn''t see the new value. I''m not sure exactly why - either when VC compiles the code it optimizes it by keeping a constant copy of the variable and not looking it up again, or the function pushes the variable to a register and it isn''t looked up again. either way, the new value is not seen. I''ve tried encompassing the lookup in a function, that doesn''t work either. How does one handle this?

Guest Anonymous Poster
just like you said. i''ve never had a problem using critical sections yet, and i''ve used them in C, C++ classes, accessing global and/or class vars w/o a problem.

have you called InitializeCriticalSection at the start?

don''t know what else to suggest. they''re pretty easy to use.

I''m using CCriticalSection (MFC)
and critical sections aren''t the problem, the problem is getting VC to see the true value, rather than a copy of the variable that it pushed up to a register (I think) because it isn''t changed in the current thread (but might be changed in another). I hope i''m right on this diagnosis. I checked memory addresses, they matched, but the values were different.