Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Any one remember Galapagos?

This topic is 5496 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I was reading the posts here and someone talked about a lemmings game, remake, then in the posts someone else mentioned giving the lemmings a brain (i know defeats the purpose of the idea of lemmings) but the idea struck a cord with me, how about another type of games not with lemmings but something else sorta like the old Galapagos game, for those of u that remember it. For those that don''t it was a animal that was born and u manipulated the enviroment to get him from point a to point b and he learned as he went becomning more and more self suffcient in the enviroments..and not dying so much (At least al from what I can remember.) I am curious to u AI guru''s who knows what kind of algos and that they used? Fuzzy Logic? Neural Network? I honestly while having some grasp of what those are do not know how t apply them to games...I have read a few articles and skimmed a few books on AI but i do not still no how they implement the stuff in there twards a game, anyone got some good links to game specific AI? and im talking more than a state machine for a enemy? I am curious to perhaps play around with this idea some more.. -Shane

"In a world unseen by living eyes..."

Galapagos used a proprietary AI system (I would have to dig up the manual to get the name, it might have been called "NERM"), but as described by Anark it sounded much ike a modular state machine using fuzzy logic. You can probably find out about it at Ferretman''s Gameai.com. More recent examples of creature intelligence and learning might be found in Black and White, for which I''m sure they''ll be some info on gameai.com and I think there has been an article about it at gamasutra.com.

quote:
Original post by Michalson
"In a world unseen by living eyes..."

Galapagos used a proprietary AI system (I would have to dig up the manual to get the name, it might have been called "NERM"), but as described by Anark it sounded much ike a modular state machine using fuzzy logic. You can probably find out about it at Ferretman's Gameai.com. More recent examples of creature intelligence and learning might be found in Black and White, for which I'm sure they'll be some info on gameai.com and I think there has been an article about it at gamasutra.com.

That's pretty complete as it is, Michalson, unfortunately. Anark called their NERM technology a "special form of feedback-based controller technology", which as you say sounds a lot like a modular fuzzy state machine. It probably adjusts its weights and probabilities as you guide "Mendel" (your creature) to safety.

The only other things I've seen along these lines are the AIs mentioned in Black and White , which is somewhat similar though I think you're more reinforcing finite state machines than fuzzy ones. There's an excellent article about the B&W AI's design in AI Game Programming Wisdom as well.

Has anybody else seen any learning games similar to either of these?

Ferretman

ferretman@gameai.com
www.gameai.com
From the High Mountains of Colorado

[edited by - Ferretman on November 26, 2002 1:10:53 PM]

The name suggests it probably employed heavy use of genetic algorithms (seeing as it was the Galapagos Islands where Darwin did his initial work), and I can just about see how that would be done....

As for other learning games, there''s always the Creatures series, of which there is a free "multiplayer" version available from somewhere on the Creature Labs website (it''s called Creatures Docking Station, and is available for both Windows and Linux, my name is in the credits for da Linux version :oP).