• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BlackScar

Anyone w/ experience on making a map editor?

This topic is 6935 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I''ve got my whole 3d engine map loader set up now and all I need to do is make a 3d map editor to jazz it up. But the question is...how?! I made a primitive one in Visual Basic, it was like the Duke Nukem 3d editor. But when I try to add a side angle for height...it gets WAY too complicated. I''ve seen where some engines basically gave up and said use a converter to convert a QERadient.map file to your map file. But I don''t want to do that since I''d like to have extra features. Can anyone point me to a page w/ a tutorial or maybe source? Or can anyone contact me, via email, and show me? Pleaaasee help! I''m very close to the holy grail! ;P Justin Eslinger Email : blackscar@ticz.com Page : members.xoom.com/Blackscar/

Advertisement
I can''t answer you question, however I have one of my own that centers around this topic.

Are you developing your 3d engine and your world editor at the same time?

I''m just kind of stumped on the whole "creating an editor" bit. I''ve hit a bit of a wall when it comes to making a 3d engine, and the editor is a big part of it.

~fathom~
content > /dev/null 2>&1

Greetings,

Yes, I am creating the editor and engine at the same time. But I''ve hit a small obsticle in creating an editor to make the levels fast enough for me to test some things. I''ve got it all planned out and I know how to do it all. Such as collision detection, weapons, rockets, etc., etc. If I can only get this one tiny step accomplished I know I can make a game simular to Quake.

Can anyone aide my pain?

Justn Eslinger

Guest Anonymous Poster
I am curios if anybody has heard of a .x editor/modeler... I thought about useing 3DSMax but it''s a little overkill for makeing models and sum texture mapping. Basically I want to edit individual vertices add/remove them and edit faces... etc.... I haven''t found one yet. I was thinking about codeing my own, but It''s kind of a big job for just me and I ''m haveing a little trouble laying out a good design. Would anybody be interested in helping out on a project like this over the net?

Guest Anonymous Poster
Uhm, I think you wanted to go to new post instead of reply to post for that sort of question.

Anyhow,( with the lack of replies and help on this message board ) I''m guessing this must be a hard subject. So! I''m trying as hard as I can to make a map editor that could possibly be universal. I''m trying to make it like QERadient, but with my own personal touches of coarse
If anyone is interested in using it for their own engine please respond. If I get enough replies I might release the source on my site. BTW, I''m writing it in Visual Basic. The EASIEST way of going about it.

Justin Eslinger
http://members.xoom.com/Blackscar

Guest Anonymous Poster
What exactly is QERadiant? and I would make a new post but I have forgotten my username/pword and I haven''t bothered to re-register. I figured this area was close enough

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!