Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Skinned mesh modeling ...

This topic is 5503 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi all, Can you explain about Skinned mesh modeling ? How a 3d modeler can make a Skinned mesh ? What is skinned mesh base ? Does skinned mesh use IK for moving ?

With 3dsmax you can make a human model and add bones or biped (with this you can convert a simple mesh into a skinned mesh),
A lot of medelling programs use bones like maya.

Do people usually do the transformations (animation) inside the program and export it? Or do you ever tranform the object from within your game, meaning not from preloading matrices. I''m trying to get my object to interact with my environment but it''s I''m finding I need to move the bones in 3dsmax and move around the arms inside my program, say when she hits a will and her arms reacts to it. Is this normal?

Skinned meshes were created for animation the object. It solves the problem of cracks. Look up vertex blending. It has a hierarchal stucture, the spine usually being the base, so that when you move your shoulder your arm also moves. But more than that, it kind of "strectches" the vertices intsead of just moving them. Imaging moving an arm up and down. You would definitely see cracks at the shoulder if the arm only looked connected at the base position. Skinned meshes transforms the arm so that it always looks connected.