with Telnet -> Linux

Started by
7 comments, last by Sand_Hawk 21 years, 4 months ago
How can I set up my Red Hat 7.0 Linux machine so I can connect to it over telnet? I need some Linux practice for college and we don''t use any graphical clients at school. So I was wondering how I can set up my linux machine so I cannoect to it. Btw, in wich header can I find fork()? I wanna try a fork bomb on my system Sand Hawk ---------------- -Earth is 98% full. Please delete anybody you can.
My Site
----------------(Inspired by Pouya)
Advertisement
I suggest that you use SSH instead of Telnet. Find an RPM for ''ssh'' or ''sshd'', install it, and run sshd.

I think fork is in unistd.h. If you''d like to prevent ''fork bombs'' from doing any real damage, look into PAM.

Well, I don''t want to thightly secure my server since it''s only used in textmode for college excersises. Noone else except me is using the machine, so, how do I enable telnet?
Regardless of wether you are concerned with a "thightly secure" server or not, you should still use SSH rather than telnet (the practical differences in using SSH instead of telnet is negligible in any case).
Moreover, sshd is almost certainly running on your system by default, simply try ''ssh localhost'' to check.

As for where to find the headers for fork() do ''man fork''.

-Neophyte
I''m not sure about 7.0, but with RedHat 7.3 you get Telnet installed automatically. Look in your /bin directory for telnet (executable)

if it''s enabled, you should get it to auto-start up. I''m not sure how that worx, because I use KDE service manager to enable/disable it

but even if you''re the only user, it indeed is insecure. If someone does random port scans he has a big chance of finding your pc open, and he might trash it just for fun if it''s a cracker :S
Thx for the replies, I will try if I can ssh to it, how do I do this from windows? Download a putty client or something?

Sand Hawk

----------------
-Earth is 98% full. Please delete anybody you can.

My Site
----------------(Inspired by Pouya)
quote:Original post by Sand_Hawk
Thx for the replies, I will try if I can ssh to it, how do I do this from windows? Download a putty client or something?

Exactly.
If you insist on using telnet:

---
(as root)
make sure the telnet-server rpm is installed. (rpm -q telnet-server)
If not, install it from the CD/web/whatever
vi /etc/xinetd.d/telnet
change the disable=yes to disable=no
---

You can now freely access your gaping security hole - no putty required.

For Mother GameDev!
windows should have a telnet client installed.... Start->Run->telnet the.name.of.your.box

its not the best in the world... but it works....
The Great Milenko"Don't stick a pretzel up your ass, it might get stuck in there.""Computer Programming is findding the right wrench to hammer in the correct screw."

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement