• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TheToad

D3DX8 - to accelerate or not

This topic is 5720 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Howdy all, I have been steadily plodding along learning D3DX8 and have run into a situation. I have a PC at home and one at work. The one I use at home has a very nice new vid card. The one at work is old and stock vid card. When running my games at home I can create the device with D3DDEVTYPE_HAL and it works fine: r = pD3D->CreateDevice( D3DADAPTER_DEFAULT, D3DDEVTYPE_HAL, hWndTarget,D3DCREATE_SOFTWARE_VERTEXPROCESSING,&d3dpp, ppDevice ); when I try to run it at work it creates a fun memory exception and wont run so that I have to change it to D3DDEVTYPE_REF to get it to work: r = pD3D->CreateDevice( D3DADAPTER_DEFAULT, D3DDEVTYPE_REF, hWndTarget,D3DCREATE_SOFTWARE_VERTEXPROCESSING,&d3dpp, ppDevice ); IS THERE A CHECK I CAN MAKE BEFORE CREATING THE DEVICE THAT WILL LET ME KNOW IF WHICH ONE THE COMPUTER IM RUNNING ON CAN HANDLE? IF THERE IS A CHECK CAN ANY OF YOU POINT ME IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION? thanks in advance - Toad -

Advertisement
a) IDirect3D8::GetAdapterCount to find out how many graphics devices are usable in the system.

b) IDirect3D8::CheckDeviceType to see if a particular adapter can work in the screen mode you desire.

c) IDirect3D8::GetDeviceCaps to find out exactly what a particular adapter is capable of.

2. If the HAL device can''t be created, then the CreateDevice call will fail *without* giving you an exception. Instead it will return a failure error code.

3. Take a look at the sample framework for the DirectX SDK, that checks to see whether a device can manage what you want before creating it.

4. There is no guarantee that a computer will have the REF device. It''s intended purely for development testing purposes. On machines without the SDK it''s unlikely to be present.

5. Wrong forum. There is a "DirectX forum" you probably missed just above this one.

--
Simon O''Connor
Creative Asylum Ltd
www.creative-asylum.com

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!