Need help With Interfacing. . .

Started by
5 comments, last by BassmanZackie 21 years, 5 months ago
A VB or C++ Program with a terminal emulation based on unix. . . Anyone that can help, please ICQ me @ 97981561, AOL - Bassmanzackie101, MSN - bassmanzackie@hotmail.com IRC - GamesNet Server - Sentinel. Thanks to anyone who can help
Segmentation Fault (core dumped)
Advertisement
are you talking about running a program from within cygwin or something? please be a little more specific. thou art quite vague.

-me
Sorry, I was kinda writing quick. OK, I work at a junkyard in inventory. There is a unix server that I log into using a propritary Terminal Emulator. After the program is open, all I need it to do (again, in C++ or VB, i frankly don''t care which, either will work for me) is read a data file, enter that, and then hit 3 keystrokes in the terminal program. What I am wondering is how to interface with the program to do the keystrokes. . . I havn''t programmed in about 2 years, and even then I only took three years of it, so please be nice
ttt
you''re still being unclear

are you wanting to write a program that you can use when you login over the terminal emulator? i think that''s what you want. anyway, you need to write a C/C++ program (VB doesn''t work on UNIX) and compile it on the UNIX server probably using gcc. I assume you know C/C++ already? if not Pearl is also a really easy way to go on UNIX machines.

erm, look around for a really basic C/C++ tutorial (i''d go with straight C if you''re working on UNIX b/c you can be sure that gcc is installed with all the appropriate libraries). particularly you want file i/o & keyboard i/o. with cin (stdlib.h i think) you''ve got really basic and easy to program keyboard input.

try this tutorial:
http://www.cs.cf.ac.uk/Dave/C/CE.html

also look around on Google for "c tutorial" or the likes.

i''d look into shell scripting and pearl script as well since that will most likely result in the simplest programs to write. higher activation energy to start your learning reaction though as you don''t already know either of those.

FYI, you can''t really run a program on your own desktop and interface through the terminal emulator to control the UNIX machine.

-me
quote:Original post by Palidine
FYI, you can''t really run a program on your own desktop and interface through the terminal emulator to control the UNIX machine.

actually, if it''s a "standard", off-the-shelf emulator package, like Reflections, Hummingbird, etc., you can, as they typically have their own API that you can program to.
By terminal emulator you mean a telnet or ssh client? If that''s the case, you can try using SecureCRT scripts although i''m not sure if that''s what you want.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement