Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

3d_engine mods vs. scenegraphs

This topic is 5498 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, OK, here''s what I''m doing... I''m going to get some people together at college to create a video game, i.e. VR gfx club (something like that) Should I use the Q3 engine or get a quality scenegraph organizer? I''ve used scenegraph''s before but never used a full engine. I like to have control of the graphics, to do special effects such as bumpmapping, radiosity, pixel shading, etc. I''ve traditionally made simple demos but if I use an engine do I lose the ability to control all of this? The other issue is that it might be faster to create a final project using an engine. Things like collision detection, file loading, scripts, all take mucho time.Any thoughts would be helpful, maybe there''s an engine which allows openGL calls or addons? thanks!

I highly doubt you''ll have the chance to use the Q3 engine unless you have $250,000 and you are a well known development company with at least one or two gold products that are well known.

Quake 1
Quake 2
Torque
Crystal Space
Destiny3D
ORGE
Panard Vision
PowerRender
PurpleLib
WorldForge
Raid3D
3D Game Studio
Cube3D
Demeter Terrain
Nive3D
Nel
Omicron
Quest3D
The Nebula Device
Cipher
Genesis3D
Reality Factory

I probably missed a few good ones though.. just can''t name them all off the top of my head. About 90% of those engines are open source and free/gpl.

I''m in a similar position to you. I''m also in university trying to make a game. I''ve been doing some research and I think we''re going to use the Torque engine. It''s $100 american per programmer, and it has a great community following. If you want to check it out www.garagegames.com has lots of info. It was the same engine used to develop Tribes 2, so it is definately commercial quality code. Good luck in whatever you decide use though.