Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Average Team Size?

This topic is 5502 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Just curious as to some of you out there who have small teams making games starting out. I''m doing some simple stuff right now alone with 2 guys doing graphics, so three people right now. We are starting over building breakout (yeah we tried for awhile too big too soon), and the graphics guys are building skins for each level right now, but what about you? What kind of teams do you guys have? 2, 3, 5, 10 people? Have you noticed at the end of a big commercial game, you''ll see credits for 50+ people? How big of games have you written? This is more for discussion. Being a lone programmer, sometimes I wonder what I can really accomplish by myself. I enjoy it, and will do game programming for awhile until my brain gives out, but for discussion sake, how goes it with you? Much greatness is achieved thru perseverance and faith.

Heh, have you seen the end credits for Serious Sam? There must be over 500 people. Funny thing is, about 90% are ''special thanks'' LOL.

As far as what you can accomplish yourself, if you like programming and are good at it, just stick with that. Remember those Serious Sam credits? Well, I think less than half a dozen were Programmers, and there was only one lead programmer. I''m trying to start a dev team myself...but I''m not looking for more programmers, I''m looking for artists and sound people who can apply their talent to the computer (i.e., and artist who can put there drawings on a computer, and someone who can do special effects/musical scores on the computer).

Sounds like you are already on track with the ''graphics'' guys (the artists), so I would just build from there and leave the programming to yourself (multiple programmers introduces a whole new level of coding, since you have to write code that more than just you need to understand).

Hope that gives you some insight. If you are serious about starting your own company...you might as well win the lottery b/c there are a hella lot of people out there that you need to hire!!!

-Q

"Who put those there?! Ow!!"
-Lo Wang (SW)

Bah, right now, it''s just fun. I don''t have to do the most high tech game or anything like that. Heck, Tetris made millions. Sometimes simplicity is the key

Much greatness is achieved thru perseverance and faith.

Yep.

Look at Starcraft, the game came out about 5 years ago and is still on the shelves selling for $20. Starcraft is 2D and in 640x480 resolution.

Simplicity with super gameplay? You''re golden.

-Q

quote:
Original post by samosa
8 inches ... oops, thats not what u meant

I don''t get it.

quote:

-= kill one your a murderer, kill thousands your a conquerer =-

btw, if you are going to quote a movie (*cough*...cliffhanger...), at least get it right. It''s:

"Kill a person and they call you a murderer. Kill a million, and you''re a conquerer. Go figure."
-Eric Qualen

No offense, I just quote movies a lot and get annoyed when people screw up lines.

-Q

quote:
Original post by Qa303asmGuru
[quote]

btw, if you are going to quote a movie (*cough*...cliffhanger...), at least get it right. It''s:

"Kill a person and they call you a murderer. Kill a million, and you''re a conquerer. Go figure."
-Eric Qualen

No offense, I just quote movies a lot and get annoyed when people screw up lines.

-Q

SHIT! seriously, i saw cliffhanger when i was like 7 years old, been a while, anyway i knew i heard the quote somewhere, but i forgot where it was from, oh well, im gonna stick with my condensed version. referring to the 8 inches thing either it wasnt funny or your an idiot, and for your sake i hope its the former, ciao

,Matt