Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Matrices and 3d

This topic is 5499 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have a noob question... HOW exactly do you use matrices, in 3d programs? (Like, for example, the Modelview or projection matrices, in OGL). I am not a noob on programming, or on OGL, I know what a matrix is, it''s just that I fail to understand how they work in 3D enviroments. Can anyone help me, with some information, or, possibly, a link to a totorial on them, but, preferably, with very little math included? Thanks in advance.

it's kind of hard to learn what a matrix is "with very little math" since matrices _are_ math. so, learn the math:

[EDIT: wierd psychadellic video link removed b/c well, it doesn't really answer this question ]

better yet, get a Linear Algebra book and work your way through it.

-me

[edited by - Palidine on November 21, 2002 5:17:12 PM]

That page just crashed my IE (I have a problem with viewing Flash). Anyway, what I am looking for is some english explaation of how/why those things work, if they are backed up by some math, it is fine. I do know some algebra, trigonometry, etc. It''s just that I don''t want a page full of amth, where they use more numbers and signs than words

heh,

wrong link (i should proofread):

http://www.jct.ac.il/i_courses/5759/170251/Aminov/info.html

oh and the skinny on matrices is that among other things they are an incrediably powerful way to transform coordinates in n-D space. that is their primary function in openGL/directX. their basic mathematical usage is to solve simultaneous equations (but don't quote me on that).

-me

[edited by - Palidine on November 21, 2002 5:19:26 PM]

*sad smile*
I found tons of sites like that. They all talk about what a matrix is, how you can multiply, etc. them, how to implement them in programming, etc.
I know what they are, I know how to implement them, I don''t care (at this time) how to invert, multiply, etc. them. What I REALLY want to know is how do they work in a 3d program/library, how do they exactly affect the vertices on the scene, etc.