Matrices and 3d

Started by
3 comments, last by Raduprv 21 years, 5 months ago
I have a noob question... HOW exactly do you use matrices, in 3d programs? (Like, for example, the Modelview or projection matrices, in OGL). I am not a noob on programming, or on OGL, I know what a matrix is, it''s just that I fail to understand how they work in 3D enviroments. Can anyone help me, with some information, or, possibly, a link to a totorial on them, but, preferably, with very little math included? Thanks in advance.
Advertisement
it's kind of hard to learn what a matrix is "with very little math" since matrices _are_ math. so, learn the math:

[EDIT: wierd psychadellic video link removed b/c well, it doesn't really answer this question ]

better yet, get a Linear Algebra book and work your way through it.

-me

[edited by - Palidine on November 21, 2002 5:17:12 PM]
That page just crashed my IE (I have a problem with viewing Flash). Anyway, what I am looking for is some english explaation of how/why those things work, if they are backed up by some math, it is fine. I do know some algebra, trigonometry, etc. It''s just that I don''t want a page full of amth, where they use more numbers and signs than words
heh,

wrong link (i should proofread):

http://www.jct.ac.il/i_courses/5759/170251/Aminov/info.html

oh and the skinny on matrices is that among other things they are an incrediably powerful way to transform coordinates in n-D space. that is their primary function in openGL/directX. their basic mathematical usage is to solve simultaneous equations (but don't quote me on that).

-me

[edited by - Palidine on November 21, 2002 5:19:26 PM]
*sad smile*
I found tons of sites like that. They all talk about what a matrix is, how you can multiply, etc. them, how to implement them in programming, etc.
I know what they are, I know how to implement them, I don''t care (at this time) how to invert, multiply, etc. them. What I REALLY want to know is how do they work in a 3d program/library, how do they exactly affect the vertices on the scene, etc.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement