Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

terrain generators

This topic is 5499 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

does anyone know how i would go about making a terrain generator? "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I''m not sure about the former." - Albert Einstein (1879-1955) That is so very true...

You may want to have a look at fractal clouds.

They probably won''t be suitable for game use right away, but if you apply a palette to a fractal cloud you can get a rather effect in 2D.

(incoming example pic)

This could easily be converted to use tiles instead of individual pixels. In the case of a 3D game, given the way this works you could very easily make a heightmap out of it.

Keep one thing in mind: the image I''ve provided has a palette applied to it. The actual cloud kept in memory contains a value between 0 and 255 for each pixel, meaning I could apply an other palette to the image with ease or convert it to a heightmap.

I have a really quick and dirty program I coded in about an afternoon that should help demonstrate what I mean. I THINK the source is included (somewhat sloppy; like I said it''s an afternoon''s work); if it isn''t I could include if you''re interested.

www.geocities.com/NekoLancer/Landscape.zip

(yes, geocities. now hush. ;P)