Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2D bitmaps in 3D

This topic is 5500 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi all. I am hoping you can help me with this latest prob. I am near the end of making my first 3D game, and I am trying to make it so a 2D explosion bitmap appears when a bad guy is killed. Now, this works perfick, but I wanted bigger explosions so I increased the scale (I created a class that has ''scale'' as one of its attributes (explosion.scale += 3)). Now when I play, the explosions occur, but in completely messed up locations, nowhere near where they are supposed to be. It''s in the scaling - I now that much, and I was wondering, is there a solution that doesn''t involve me having to open the bmp in Paint and increasing the scale myself? Your input would be much valued. Thanks. "Sweetie! Get Mommy''s bazooka!"

All you have to do is move the vertexes for the corners of the texture away from each other based upon the amount that you''ve got in scale. All you need is one bitmap from paint which you then scale inside of your program.

- be pround to be out of your mind

Okay, I fixed it. Thanks all for your help. Finally I can move on to working out how to animate an .x file (AT WILL!!) and some c.d.

One last thing - how do you make it glow, like in the Point Sprite demo? I''ve looked at this and other examples but I am not too sure. Do you need lights, or just to set the render state somehow?

Thanks again.

"Sweetie! Get Mommy''s bazooka!"