Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

quake 3 engine documentation

This topic is 5501 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi i''m an intermid programmer. i wanted to develop a game based on Q3''s engine but i couldnt find any documentation on the engine. does any1 know where i could any? P.s. i also needed some info for making mods

Guest Anonymous Poster
It''s your lucky day! Check my website. I coded a Q3 level renderer. Feel free to steal my code

http://www.ews.uiuc.edu/~shin4/

Q3 = $250,000 + (royalties * .05)
Q2 = $5,000
Q = GPL

EDIT:
The best we can do for you is point you to a site that has tutorials that have MD3 and .BSP loading tutorials. www.gametutorials.com but if you are an intermediate programmer you probably have been to that site before
EDIT1: I may be wrong on the price for licensing quake3, it says a 250,000 guarantee against a 5% royalty benefits, i dont know if that is the same as 250,000 as well as 5% royalties or what

seriously you cannot get the Q3 engine for free

[edited by - Shadow1234567890 on November 21, 2002 9:20:03 PM]

[edited by - Shadow1234567890 on November 21, 2002 9:26:49 PM]

Guest Anonymous Poster
quote:
Original post by Zigxter
Hi
i''m an intermid programmer.

Sure you are....

Guest Anonymous Poster
what does the engine compose off, the code to the magic libs?

no, they did release the code for both the Quake1 & Quake2 engines. in quake1, all the source code was the engine (the game was in quakec (scripts), which you could also find on the net). The quake1 engine is completly GPL. the Quake2 engine also has the source code to it, and is under the GPL too. heres a snippet from the readme file just to prove it:

quote:

The code is all licensed under the terms of the GPL (gnu public license).
You should read the entire license, but the gist of it is that you can do
anything you want with the code, including sell your new version. The catch
is that if you distribute new binary versions, you are required to make the
entire source code available for free to everyone.

[edited by - Rocket05 on November 21, 2002 10:29:47 PM]

The Q3 engine has not been GPL-ed yet, it will around the time of Doom3's release. You can however get the game source, used for making mods. If you don't need to make changes to the engine and can cope with creating your effects using their shader language then just use this.

Have a look at www.planetquake.com/midgetwars to see what myself and a team of four others did in 10 weeks.

[edited by - TheBag on November 22, 2002 6:47:54 AM]

quote:
Original post by Rocket05
no, they did release the code for both the Quake1 & Quake2 engines. in quake1, all the source code was the engine (the game was in quakec (scripts), which you could also find on the net). The quake1 engine is completly GPL. the Quake2 engine also has the source code to it, and is under the GPL too. heres a snippet from the readme file just to prove it:

[quote]
The code is all licensed under the terms of the GPL (gnu public license).
You should read the entire license, but the gist of it is that you can do
anything you want with the code, including sell your new version. The catch
is that if you distribute new binary versions, you are required to make the
entire source code available for free to everyone.

[edited by - Rocket05 on November 21, 2002 10:29:47 PM]

They have gpl-ed them both, but if you do not wish to release your source then you can get a non-gpl version for $10,000

Guest Anonymous Poster
quote:
Original post by thebag
The Q3 engine has not been GPL-ed yet, it will around the time of Doom3''s release.

Using history as our guide, I''d expect the Q3 engine to GPL 2-3 years after Doom3''s release.

Have to give time to all those current q3 licenses to finish their games, after all.

Guest Anonymous Poster
quote:
Original post by thebag
The Q3 engine has not been GPL-ed yet, it will around the time of Doom3''s release.

Using history as our guide, I''d expect the Q3 engine to GPL 2-3 years after Doom3''s release.

Have to give time to all those current q3 licenses to finish their games, after all.

As mentioned the Q3 engine code isn''t available right now but you can code your own mods using the existing engine. Tutorials can be found e.g. on those sites:
http://www.q3center.com/codingindex.phtml
http://www.planetquake.com/code3arena/tutorials/

The modifications programming forum on www.quake3world.com is quite helpful, too. There''s even a "documentation project" in the sticky threads.

quote:
Original post by Kurioes
Maybe Zigxter just wants to know how to make a mod for Q3. IIRC, you can download a Q3 SDK or something.

If he does he can, as I stated earlier, download the game source for the game, this includes the client side, server side and UI source, but does not contain the actual engine, ie you still need a copy of Quake 3 to run whatever you make and you cannot make modifications to the engine (since you have no code for it).

You can indeed download the Q3 sdk, with all the above, it''s currently in version 1.32 and is about 200 - 300k.

(And the statement about it being gpl-ed around the time of D3''s release comes from a statement made by Id)

Actually, a large portion of the quake3 source is availible if you looked at the ftp link he posted. Its actually quite a good reference too. Lots of AI.

"With my feet upon the ground I lose myself between the sounds and open wide to suck it in, I feel it move across my skin. I''m reaching up and reaching out. I''m reaching for the random or what ever will bewilder me, what ever will bewilder me. And following our will and wind we may just go where no one''s been. We''ll ride the spiral to the end and may just go where no one''s been." - Maynard James Keenan
[TheBlackJester ]
[Wildfire Studios ]