Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Reading binary directly into a struct?

This topic is 5500 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am a bit perplexed by reading straight binary from a file. I know it is possible to transfer a block of binary from a file directly into a data structure, but I''m having a bit of trouble doing it. I''m using an fstream with ios::in and ios::binary, and when I try to cout the variables I just get big integers. Also if this makes a difference I''m using a .dat that I had typed some text in just to test it out. Here''s my code so far:

struct CMFHEADER{
	WORD  wWidth;
	WORD  wHeight;
	DWORD dwExtra;
};

class CMyFile{

private:
    fstream    INFILE;
    CMFHEADER  cmfFileHeader;

public:
    CMyFile(){}
   ~CMyFile(){}

bool OpenInfile(char* filename);
    bool ReadInfile();
    bool CloseInfile();
};

bool CMyFile::OpenInfile(char* filename){
	//open file

INFILE.open(filename,ios::in|ios::binary);
	if(!INFILE){ return false; }
	else{ return true; }
}

bool CMyFile::ReadInfile(){
	//read stuff into a file header structure

INFILE.read((char*)&cmfFileHeader,sizeof(cmfFileHeader));
	//check output

cout << cmfFileHeader.wWidth << endl;

//irrelevant stuff down here

}

The only reason I casted the cmfFileHeader to a pointer to char was because that''s the only way it would compile. I would suspect that''s causing problems but I''m not totally sure. Any help on this is greatly appreciated. Many thanks in advance, ~ MajorShredd ~

with my limited c++ experience, it looks fine to me. are you sure your data in the file is ok? try viewing it in a hex editor. the cast is not a problem - the read funtion just needs an address, and casting it won''t change the address.

andy.

quote:
Also if this makes a difference I''m using a .dat that I had typed some text in just to test it out.

Yes, that makes quite a big difference. The text you type in a text editor is merely ASCII representation of data. The actually binary value of what you type is different. Take a look at an ASCII chart to see the actual values for representable characters you type. Then you can get some data into the file simply by associating the binary data you want with the character you need to use. Otherwise, use a hex editor

And yes, casting it do a char is just fine. The function takes a pointer to a single-byte type so it can work in terms of bytes, and not any larger data type.