• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MaxPoly

Character Animation

This topic is 6932 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I''m trying to find a good tutorial about implementing character animation in a 3D engine. Could someone please point me in the right direction? Thanks MaxPoly

Advertisement
Here's a link to the Character Animation FAQ:
http://www.flipcode.com/documents/charfaq.html

This might just be what you're looking for. Flipcode.com ran a news story a while back that had a ton of graphics links that appear to be pretty useful. I wouldn't know though. I'm trying to figure out how to develope a 3d engine. I've read tons of articles and stuff, plus I just got a copy of Real-Time Rendering that I'm reading. I'm still pretty stumped on how to get started.

Also, this guy has a section (yet to be written) about skeletal animation.

http://www.scs.ryerson.ca/h2jang/gfx_c.html

~fathom~
content > /dev/null 2>&1

Edited by - fathom on 4/25/00 11:06:25 AM

Thanks

I''ll take a look. If nothing else it''s a start. There really seems to be a lack of info on this subject. I''ve created a somple 3d game engine and it''s playable. Now I want to add some advanced stuff.

MaxPoly

Ya I agree that there''s a lack of info on the net. Anything I''ve found seems to be on skeleton animation. It seems to be not a good thing to start with, since its pretty advanced (though maybe I''m wrong).

As far as I can tell animation Quake1 style is done by just having multiple models basically. Each frame corresponds to the model in a different position, and they are just played back in sequence.. Quake2 I think interpolates between positions based on framerate so it looks real smooth. Quake3 is doing something really funky--it like splits the model into various parts and thats about all I know.

As a start just try the Quake1 style. Its easy, and it is possible to make a professional product with (well, not nowadays, but it was).

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!