Physics of Video/Computer Games...

Started by
8 comments, last by bacteriophage 23 years, 12 months ago
I am considering doing game programming as the topic for my "Physics of..." project in my class...searched far and wide, but still haven''t been able to find a good, in-depth article/document online of the role of physics in games. For example: simulations must have it accurately for their purpose, but a game like Sonic the Hedgehog where one can move from left to right collecting rings in midair does not have accurate physics at all in order to improve the fun factor. Thank you for any suggestions... -Donny
Advertisement
come on, guys and gals, anything?
Sure Sonic invloves physics... What goes up must come down :D
You may want to try to model a simple ballistic missle type thingy, or you can try making a (simple)pool game.

If really want to go hard-core ask somebody else on this fourm, hard-core physics is beyond me.

I don''t really understand what you are asking for. If you are asking for indepth articles on implementing physics in programs I don''t know any. If you are asking for other physics help, you have to be more specific.

Mike
"Unintentional death of one civilian by the US is a tragedy; intentional slaughter of a million by Saddam - a statistic." - Unknown
physics really depends on what type of game it is. If it is a car game, you''re not going to have the same physics as you would in a side scroller.

I am not sure where to find any articles on physics. Maybe you could try under here at gamedev.net

- Moe -
Try Lamothe''s latest book. It has a section on physics, and a number of cool demos that you could modify or use to help you in your project.

Mike Barela
mbarela@earthlink.net
Mike BarelaMikeB@yaya.com
Try flipcode. You have to remember, most games don''t generally use ever aspect of physics. When physics is used, a lot of the time, the actual physics equations are not used in realtime. That would be too slow. Instead, the physics is used to study the final outcome. Then programmers use various tricks to be able to come up with the same outcome (or atleast very similar ones) quickly in real time. If you really want to explore physics in video games, take a look at particle systems.

Donny?
Hey that''s my name, or atleast one of my hundreds nick names. Well, Donny was the first. I knew I wasn''t the only one.

Domini
Domini, I''m, glad you''re a "Donny ". Vetinari
, I AM asking for not necessarily indepth articles on "implementing" physics in programs, but rather the theories and psychology behind their implementation. You dig? Mbarela, could you scan or have scanned the pages of that section in LaMothe''s book for me? Please? I don''t really want to have to buy the book (BTW, what is the book''s title?). Lastly, for Domini, do you know of any good texts on flipcode/particle systems? Thanks for any help...and if anyone else knows of any articles/texts on the "theories and psychology behind the implementation of physics" in video/comp. games, please inform me!
try

http://freespace.virgin.net/hugo.elias/

Links there also worth checking.
Physics Article One

Physics Article Two

Physics Article Three

Physics Article Four

particle systems

Domini

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement