• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kris Hauser

specular component of 5d subspace quaternion voxel rotations

This topic is 6930 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have a heirarchal procedural voxel system set up using blended quaternion rotations in a 6-d world. Now how would i go about finding the specular component of the voxel subspace volume (5d in this case) with a 4-d hyper-light of an arbitrary form?

Advertisement
Well you take this REALLY big piece of swiss cheese, and stuff it in your mouth, chew it for a long time, and then tell your girlfriend that you''ve been reading too many Star Trek books

#pragma DWIM // Do What I Mean!
~ Mad Keith ~
**I use Software Mode**

OK. I''ll play. How can quaternions be used in a six-dimensional world? You get undefined results.

well, they aren't TRUE quaternions, that would be rediculous. They're pseudo-quaternions, about which you can find out more in my thesis which can be found here . The gist of it is that it turns out if you examine the hyper-super-symmetry of the transformation the results from solution of the corresponding inifinite-order differential equation, it works out quite nicely to be an approximation to the transformation in 6 dimensions.

Edited by - Kris Hauser on 4/26/00 10:01:37 PM

Why, to encode the Plucker space visibility calculations of course!

~ Mad Keith ~
**I use Software Mode**

C''mon, Plucker''s overkill in games... unless, of course, you''re planning on implementing the Greenstein-Hiroyuki space-time graviton flux approximator. But anyways, the specular component is rather easy to find - take the quaternion, approximate it in 7D and iterate T=dXdYdU+lDZ until it converges, then rotate the basic 6D projection plane to match the hyper-light.

I actually think that an approximating elliptical curve with weighted averaging would be faster.
*lol*
this is getting silly.

~ Mad Keith ~
**I use Software Mode**

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!