• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Buster

DDraw Clipper Performance Issues

This topic is 6930 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I was wondering if anyone has any data on performance when using clippers on Direct Draw surfaces? Basically I have 2 choices with my graphics engine. 1. Do any clipping on rectangles myself before blitting. 2. Attach a clipper to the back buffer and let DirectX do it. Right now I do #1, which is most likely the slower of the two. You may be asking, why do I care, just make DirectX do it? Well, I''m wondering if I can go ahead and attach clippers to EVERY surface, even the secondary ones. That way I would never have to self-clip anything, no matter which surface is the source and/or destination. My issue with that is what type of performance hit would that be? Sorry for the rambling, hey it''s early! -Michael

Advertisement
in my experience there is no speed degradation
if u use ddraw clippers on backbuffer ...
and yes you can attach the same clipper to a lot of
surfaces...if they have the req dimensions of course

on the other hand if u code in ASM then maybe u can do
faster clipping than HEL clippers...but i try and i cant do
faster than HAL ...at least on modern video boards

So, IMHO BLIT (video-2-video) and Clippers
and ColorKeys are the faster things in DDraw
i mean they are ALL of DDraw....dont they?

As I recently found out, it''s not a good idea to mix DirectDraw''s clipper with BltFast(), so you might want to do your own clipping.

Martin

In my experience, the clipper is slower.. MUCH slower..but that was on HEL surfaces with a 2 MB Tseng lab cards..

Nowadays cards.. I haven''t bothered to find out..

AHHHHHHH... thanks to help on another thread I have the clippers up and running. It is El Mucho Fasto, BTW.

I am providing a "create surface" function sort of like this:

CreateSurface(int w, int h, char *fileName, bool isResource, bool clipping);

So you can choose to have it be clipped or not.

-M

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!