PLEASE HELP!

Started by
2 comments, last by Bumba 23 years, 11 months ago
somebody please help me. i have been looking for three weeks and have read the whole directx sdk from top to bottom and i cant find the routines diablo used to do there inventory!!!!!??!?! where are these rountes?????!?!!? are they opengl!?!?!?! someone told me diablo write there own inventory routines but the box says that it is in directx and anyway, those inventory routines are very complex so ithink they used directx!!?!!?! if anyone knows where i can download the plugin for the diablo inventory routine pelase reply!!?!?!?!!!!!!
Advertisement
What kind of inventory? The one for game items (swords, shields) or something internal in the code?

"The wise make proverbs, and fools repeat them." -- ISAAC D'ISRAELI

lntakitopi@aol.com
http://geocities.com/guanajam/
Either way, the Blizzard team that worked on Diablo almost certainly wrote the routines themselves.

"The wise make proverbs, and fools repeat them." -- ISAAC D'ISRAELI

lntakitopi@aol.com
http://geocities.com/guanajam/
quote:Original post by Bumba

somebody please help me. i have been looking for three weeks and have read the whole directx sdk from top to bottom and i cant find the routines diablo used to do there inventory!!!!!??!?!

Still searching, after what I told you last time?
quote:
where are these rountes?????!?!!? are they opengl!?!?!?!

No. OpenGL is a way of displaying graphics. It does not do any game logic for you.
quote:
someone told me diablo write there own inventory routines

That was me (and maybe others).
quote:but the box says that it is in directx

You need to buy a programming book and see EXACTLY what goes into making a game. Cars use roads - it doesn''t mean they are made out of roads. Games use DirectX - it doesn''t mean they are made out of DirectX. It means they ask DirectX to perform -some- certain -basic- tasks. These include drawing pixels on the screen, making a sample play on your soundcard, sending data to your network card, collecting information from your keyboard or joystick.

They do not write your game for you. They cannot. Each game is so different that no single system could ever cover everything. Hundreds of commercial games are released each year. How on earth could DirectX contain every inventory routine, every graphics engine, every map-maker, etc etc? Instead, these systems are written almost from scratch, by the game developer, in a programming language such as C++. This is why games can cost millions to make, as it takes teams of skilled people to know how to do this.

quote:and anyway, those inventory routines are very complex so ithink they used directx!!?!!?!

No. The more complex the routine, the -less- likely it was provided by something like OpenGL or DirectX. If a routine is complex and original, someone almost definitely had to code it for their game specifically.

quote:if anyone knows where i can download the plugin for the diablo inventory routine pelase reply!!?!?!?!!!!!!

Sorry, but it doesn''t work like that. This stuff (a) Isn''t downloadable, as it was made in-house and is part of their intellectual property, and (b) Could not just ''plug in'' to any other game you choose anyway - it would just be far too complex and would make no sense for that game 99% of the time.

I don''t mean to be insulting, but you really have no idea what you''re talking about. Please read some of the articles here on gamedev.net, and then read some elsewhere, such as flipcode. You will see that each specific game requires a specific type of design, and that you have to program it yourself! No downloads, no plugins. Sorry.

And by the way: if you ever -do- get into programming, you may want to start going easier on your ''?'' and ''!'' keys. You''ll be needing a working keyboard to program with

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement