RPG Difficulty

Started by
34 comments, last by Run_The_Shadows 21 years, 4 months ago
Gripe for the month as far as design goes. Difficulty in most RPG''s. Let this stand loud and clear: If you do not have dynamic difficulty levels for your bosses, I will not enjoy your game. I am a speed-RPG''er. I really don''t enjoy fighting "Goblin Robot Mk. 2''s" for 2 hours of my life just so I''ll be a high enough level to beat the boss of the area. I skip as many enemies as possible, especially in RPG''s like Chrono Trigger where you can usually get around such hassles without problems. Every boss should be challenging, don''t get me wrong, but I should be able to beat them with a moderate equipment load(not needing 500 healing potions to use every other turn), and as high or low level characters as I choose to have. I''m tired of playing games and ending up stuck on some boss because I didn''t decide I wanted to wipe out EVERY robot in the entire laboratory before fighting your crazy computer. Argh. -Ryan "Run_The_Shadows" -Run_The_Shadows@excite.com -The Navidson Record! The best film you''ll never see!
Advertisement
Final Fantasy 8 used the type of system you are describing, it it turned out that a lot of gamers found it to be a better strategy to NOT level up that to actually play the game the way it was meant, so I think there should be a minimum level for the bosses, but level should be adjusted automatically to challenge the player''s who do extra leveling.
I think the solution to this problem is clear. Some of us like to see our characters become the ulitmate power house, and then we can go out and destroy the weakling monsters with a nice 9999 hit. However, some of us see sitting around for a few hours holding the button down so we can make numbers dance around so we can finally progress in the story boring.

What game designers should do is incorporate strategy into the fights. And I don't mean a simple if you stand on higher ground, you do more damage or if you attack from the back or whatever like in Tactics Ogre or FF Tactics.

There are a few solutions to such a problem. First of all, don't make a command based game. Doing so limits the player's movement, and can get rather complex menu systems if the player is allowed to do a lot of stuff. Incorporate a system where the player actually controls the character. Like Zelda, or Secret of Mana. Sure these systems aren't perfect, but in Zelda, I never left a dungeon to look for more heart pieces when I couldn't beat an end guy. I would rethink my strategy, and eventually I could beat the guy. The fact is that Zelda is also a pretty basic game when it comes to strategy. You use an item in a certain way to do something to the end guy, revealing his weakness and so on. There could be a lot more strategy to end guys, and with direct control, the possibilities are endless.

Another option that I have yet to see incorporated is more involved spells. I'm going to use some of the folder Final Fantasies as an example, since I am familiar with them. When it came to end guys, none of the effect spells did anything. YOu couldn't blind the guy, couldn't slow him usually, couldn't stop him, and so on. When you fought an end guy, your only option for a wizard was to do a spell that did the most damage. Fire, Lit, Ice, so on. Well, I think this is dumb for two reasons. Of course, it encourages players to go out and level up until they can just tank through all monsters, end guys included. It also makes a large part of the wizard's arsenal useless. What would be interesting to see is a situation where all spells have a certain effect, and a wizard can develop a strategy of combination of spells to use. An example I would give for this is Magic. Sure the card game is dead, but it had an interesting aspect that I have never seen in a video game. The point in that game was to make a deck of cards where all of your cards complemented eachother. If you had a creature that needed a lot of weak creatures as upkeep, you would have tons of weak creatures in your deck as well, or maybe something that would produce weak creatures every turn.

I would like to see a game where wizards can combine spells, or cast them in a particuar order to create interesting effects on the monsters. Not only would this introduce more strategy to the fighting, but I'm sure players would love to combine spells, or cast them in different orders to see what does what.

A final thing would be to introuce spells and techinques where more than one person is invovled. FF2 had this with Palom and Porom, and Chrono Trigger had this with the dual and triple techniques, but again, these just did more damage. I'd like to see them do things that affect the monsters in various ways.

Edit: I'm sorry, Taiyou, but I think your suggestion of increasing the difficulty of monsters as players increase levels is horrible to say the least, at least if you are talking about the same monsters.. The idea of level ups is so that a player can actually see advancement. It's the carrot that intices a lot of players to play the game. So they can get their character powerful, and eventually be able to beat monsters that at one time they couldn't.

Hehehehe, this is just one thing that strikes me as a very poor idea. You got me thinking, what would weight lifting be like if the 45 lb. weight just kept getting heaver as I got stronger, or if things got more and more expensive at exactly the same rate as me getting raises or saving my money. People like advancement, and that's one of the main defining aspects of an RPG.

--Vic--

[edited by - Roof Top Pew Wee on November 29, 2002 3:49:43 PM]
quote:Original post by Taiyou
Final Fantasy 8 used the type of system you are describing, it it turned out that a lot of gamers found it to be a better strategy to NOT level up that to actually play the game the way it was meant, so I think there should be a minimum level for the bosses, but level should be adjusted automatically to challenge the player''s who do extra leveling.

I agree with this post and I think there should be an upper limit for the bosses too, so that people who actually spend the extra time training their characters have at least SOME reward.

My Stuff : [ Whispers in Akarra (online rpg) || L33T WAR (multiplayer game) || The Asteroid Menace (another game) ]

My Stuff : [ Whispers in Akarra (online rpg) || L33T WAR (multiplayer game) || The Asteroid Menace (another game) ]
I think I was just frustrated last night because I was playing Chrono Trigger and...

//MINOR SPOILERS(Like anyone here hasn''t played this yet)

I had just speed-gamed it all the way up to Magus, and suddenly I''m facing a boss with over 6000 HP, with my 3 characters(Frog, Chrono, Robo) who only have 300 +/- 50. To hurt him I only have 2 characters(Chrono/Robo) since Frog doesn''t have magic. Every time I hit him for ~150, he hits EVERYONE for ~150+. I don''t have enough healing/mana potions to keep it up, and so I very well might have to load an old game and sit around for an hour levelling in weak enemies just so I''ll be tough enough to actually hurt him.

Argh.

-Ryan "Run_The_Shadows"
-Run_The_Shadows@excite.com
-The Navidson Record! The best film you''ll never see!
ennemy strength = party level * difficulty, capped to MAX.

With that your ennemy won''t be too difficult to beat, and with the MAX setting you make sure weak monster stay weak and don''t become too powerfull.

It''s simple to do, especially for games using level systems, for games using skills only, you''ll need to take total skill points into account instead of level, which is pretty similar.

-* So many things to do, so little time to spend. *-
-* So many things to do, so little time to spend. *-
I like the idea of a max level too so that players who really go the extra mile get a reward. So, I guess a min and max dificuly should be put in place to keep the player playing the game the right way and to reward those who try harder.

I also agree with roof top in that effect spells should affect bosses. I''ve been playing through Final Fantasy 9, and it really annoys me that I can''t use any of my effect spells strategically to keep myself alive during boss fights. I also don''t like the way bosses "cheat" during fights. For example, in Final Fantasy 9, there is a move to take away the enemies MP. After I used this to remove all the bosses MP, he could still use all of his spells.

I also think that enemies should heal themselves more often and use effect magic to their advantage in fights. Very few enemies in the RPGs I have played heal themselves, and they certainly don''t heal themselves as frequently as players do, it''s as though they aren''t even trying to survive the fight. I know an enemy that frequently healed itself could be annoying and quite difficult, but it may be a good idea for some boss enemies, this way they would not require extreme amounts of HP, they just heal themselves the same way players do.

Enemies never use items either. They always have an inventory you can steal from or acquire after a fight, but they never use anything they have. To add some extra difficulty, enemies could make use of this.

I would like to add that the above suggestions could be put in a game in place of the standard "cheat ai". In most games, the enemies are substantially stronger than the player with outrageously large amounts of HP, MP, and immunity to status effects. If the enemies were able to do everything that a player could do, then these things would not be required to keep the enemy at an appropriate difficulty level.

Also, Roof top, I think you misunderstood my original post. I simply suggested that if the enemy''s difficulty is going to be calculated dynamically to offer high level players a challenge, then there should be at least a minimum difficulty so that other players have to play the game the way it was intended (by levelin a little and not running from every fight).
quote:Original post by Taiyou Enemies never use items either. They always have an inventory you can steal from or acquire after a fight, but they never use anything they have. To add some extra difficulty, enemies could make use of this.

I would like to add that the above suggestions could be put in a game in place of the standard "cheat ai". In most games, the enemies are substantially stronger than the player with outrageously large amounts of HP, MP, and immunity to status effects. If the enemies were able to do everything that a player could do, then these things would not be required to keep the enemy at an appropriate difficulty level.

I absolutely agree with you here. Players get more powerful not merely by increasing in hitpoints and so forth, but also by gaining special items and abilities and making use of them. Enemies should have the same advantages.

Oh, and I also agree with your statement above that designers should allow players to strategize a lot more, and even to control their character directly in order to realistically dodge and attack and so on. Defense and attack ratings, etc. are ported directly from paper & dice games, where there's no way to directly control your character, because he's a figment of the group's imaginations -- CRPGs could allow for a more realistic combat experience in this particular area (although it would also rely more on the player's own reflexes, etc, thus defeating the fantasy of controlling an incredibly nimble character, especially when you're a bit clumsy, like me).

[edited by - irbrian on November 30, 2002 6:32:33 PM]
---------------------------Brian Lacy"I create. Therefore I am."
one idea is to make the game''s story progress based on how
much effort you''ve put into the game.
if you skip most fights and face all your bosses with minimal
strength, you''ll get a crappier ending than what you would have
gotten.

i dunno.. seems like if you make the game too easy, people
would just play through it just to see the ending and your
play-time is shot to hell.
and for those of you who think play-time is overrated, remember
this: the quicker you finish a game, the quicker you forget
about it (and if you''ve forgotten about it how can you recommend
it to your friends? )

-eldee
;another space monkey;
[ Forced Evolution Studios ]

::evolve::

Do NOT let Dr. Mario touch your genitals. He is not a real doctor!

-eldee;another space monkey;[ Forced Evolution Studios ]
Yeah, I''ve thought of the fact that in most video games the characters you control are really not very strong, but you can somehow kill beasts with 1000000 hp compared to your 8000. In most RPGs I can think of (notable exceptions: Tactics [FF/Ogre]) the characters would kill themselves in one hit easy, and the bosses do crap damage, but have insane HP. What the heck is up with that? I mean, boss = 1000000 hp, 1000 damage. player = 10000 hp, 25000 damage. etc.

Another thing is that characters are usually in parties while the bosses are alone. Which is also strange. Why wouldnt the boss have friends? If bosses teamed up, the player would be screwed.

So, I''d like to see a game with balanced bosses/players.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement