• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

d8d3. RPG Game Programming.

This topic is 5617 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Think thats the name of the file... Have been trying to re-compile nodes programe off Jim Adams RPG game prog Book. Compiler cannot find the above file... Cannot find the above file. Did a search on my PC for it not there. Also Installed DirectX 8 off the CD. Does antbody know why it is not finding this file. Have linked the files to project and set up VC++ to look in approprate directories for relevant DX files. Thanks

Advertisement
Afternoon, Woody FX.

ummm....

What file?
In your topic-title, you''ve typed "d8d3". Don''t you mean "d3d8"?

Cheers,
Scronty

- "Has the world gone mad, or am I at work?"

Do you have the DirectX SDK?

I don''t think you can compile DIrectX-enhanced programs without actually making use of the libraries and the likes that come with the SDK.

Poke around MS''s site. It''s free, though somewhat big.

Yeah the d3d8.h

Have the directx8 sdk installed.
Did search in the ''find'' and no file on my pc even though the sdk installed.

It is the nodes prog from rpg game programming cd that i am trying to recomplile...

have everything set up correct i think... ie my VC++6 settings.

Anybody mannage to compile this demo..

thanks all

Aside from the DirectX 8 SDK, you must have the original book''s source files to compile that code. The source files are not distributable - you must own a copy of the book to possess them.

I''ve had the exact same problem with the SDK I got from Jim''s book. It just doesn''t install the files, only makes empty directories.

Download the most recent SDK from www.microsoft.com/directx . It''s quite big, but free, and microsoft always has good download speeds.

Don''t forget to uninstall your old corrupt SDK before you install the new one. After you install follow the instructions in the book for adding everything into MS VC++.

I have the Book Jim ....

So the SDK on the CD is kaput then!!

OK will down load the SDK of the lovely MS.

Thanks for the advise......save me going around in Circles...

Unless somebody can mail me the d3d8.h file to >B_Doyle1@yahoo.com<
Would save me ages on my 56k modem (Eire has no broad band or free net access thanks )

If you haven''t been able to find d3d8.h on your drive then most likely quite a bit of the SDK isn''t there. I would try one more time to install, or better yet, download the DX 8.1 SDK. If you do that, make sure to download the Update #1 from my web site and install it w/ the dx8.1 option.

Jim Adams
home.att.net/~rpgbook
Author, Programming Role-Playing Games with DirectX
and Focus On: Advanced Animation with DirectX

• Advertisement