• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Leroy1891

Vertex Array Question

This topic is 5800 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

This has probably been asked before but oh well. Right now i am drawing a character using a vertex array. when it must be animated the points are calculated and the new array is sent using glVertexPointer once per frame. is there a way to alter the actual vertex array or am i doing this the best way?

Advertisement
since you already have the vertex arrays set up, you could always use compiled vertex arrays. You just need the OpenGL Extensions header file. The array is locked in hardware each frame, so it can be dynamic, and yet still have very good reults.

My Homepage
How many Microsoft employees does it take to screw in a light bulb?
None, they just declare drakness as a new standard.

BGCJR:i have no idea what FENCE is. could you explain.

Julio:what''s the OpenGL Extensions header file? i check for
compiled vertex arrays and it said my card didn''t support it.
would i be able to use them with this header file?

When you compute your new vertex positions, do you allocate a new array or do you overwrite the existing array ?

quote:

BGCJR:i have no idea what FENCE is. could you explain.

Fence is some kind of advanced glFlush or glFinish command. Fences are used to synchronize vertex array ranges. Vertex array ranges is an evolution of vertex arrays for NVIDIA cards. Vertex array ranges are a bit faster than "standard" vertex arrays but also are more complex to manage. I don''t think you have to bother with vertex array ranges or fences unless you really look for optimal performance.

quote:

Julio:what''s the OpenGL Extensions header file? i check for compiled vertex arrays and it said my card didn''t support it.
would i be able to use them with this header file?

The OpenGL Extensions header file is a file typically called "glext.h" that contains a few declarations useful for using OpenGL Extensions. The most recent version of the file can be donwloaded at http://oss.sgi.com/projects/ogl-sample/registry and is updated regularily. If you consider yourself as an OpenGL beginner (more or less) you should wait a little before looking at the extensions. If you don''t understand the Core very well, you''ll have alot of difficulties in understanding extensions.
What do you mean by "you checked if you card supported compiled vertex arrays" ? What checking method did you use ?

i downloaded a tutorial about compiled vertex arrays and when i ran it i got a message saying compiled vertex arrays is not supported

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!